Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Getaclue,
Looks like you are building the Taj Mahal for chickens. It looks great.

Ron,
A black BA cannot carry a blue gene, only two black genes. The Blue bird is the one that carries a black gene and a blue gene. The Splash bird has two blue genes. I have researched and experimented a lot with this. The lighter blue or self blue without lacing crops up from a SPL X BLK or SPL X BLU matting, but not all the time. I have seen some fine birds come out of that combo before. Once you establish a blue flock then it is better to breed BLK X BLU to get the darker blue with lacing.
Kurt

Hey, its been a while since I got on here, but I just wanted to catch up on everything going on in the BYC community!

A few things i saw that I wanted to clear up... Im in AZ, and have show quality Black Australorps as well as Blue. I sold a few to Barb a while back, and she's been great with her birds!!

The picture I posted a few months back is an example of some of the birds I have. The reason I havent shown any is because I inherited all of my birds as adults from Chester Hupp. I have the last of his Australorp line, but I've always stayed true to my belief that if I buy an adult bird from a breeder, IT IS NOT MINE TO SHOW. Their offspring, of course, but not that bird itself. I did not breed for its genetics, and I certainly didnt raise it and condition it to be the bird it is...

I have do have several breeding pens set up right now, and we've hatched out some amazing birds that I think we can do really well with to work towards continuing the efforts that Chester has put in to this breed!

Hey, its been a while since I got on here, but I just wanted to catch up on everything going on in the BYC community!

A few things i saw that I wanted to clear up... Im in AZ, and have show quality Black Australorps as well as Blue. I sold a few to Barb a while back, and she's been great with her birds!!

The picture I posted a few months back is an example of some of the birds I have. The reason I havent shown any is because I inherited all of my birds as adults from Chester Hupp. I have the last of his Australorp line, but I've always stayed true to my belief that if I buy an adult bird from a breeder, IT IS NOT MINE TO SHOW. Their offspring, of course, but not that bird itself. I did not breed for its genetics, and I certainly didnt raise it and condition it to be the bird it is...

I have do have several breeding pens set up right now, and we've hatched out some amazing birds that I think we can do really well with to work towards continuing the efforts that Chester has put in to this breed!
Good luck with the breeding program!

Keep us updated on their progress too.

Thanks for the complement about me being great with my birds, Chase!

Absolutely, Barbara!

And I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on the progress here. Eggs are in the incubator now, but I ran into a lot of the red leakage youve been talking about in a few of my birds. I've got a couple experimental pens set up to see what we get out of one of my roosters who turned out to have incredible type, but red leakage. I'll let you guys know how that turns out. I've heard ppl say that it improves sheen and color, but I guess we'll see

Also, just a side note for Barbara's splash rooster... What I've noticed with any white bird I keep out here in AZ, is that the sun can really yellow them up. I've also heard that corn can do the same thing. Not to say its not genetic, because obviously Ive seen leakage in my birds as well, but it might be worth taking a look at

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom