Australorps v.s. Buff Orlingtons

Australorps are a good choice for a hot climate. They only come in Black and Blue. I wish they did come in more colors/patterns.

I'm unfamiliar with Austra Whites.
Mt Healthy actually sells separate blue, black & splash. If I were limited to 3 chicks I would splurge & order the 3 colors from them just to have variety. Min order 3 in April,

What about Silkies? These chickens will be allowed and invited inside the house btw.
My silkie pullets are very sweet. The cockerels, not so much..
But they do tend to go broody and aren't the most reliable layers. And because they're quite small, their eggs are going to be as well. Silkies also aren't the smartest, and aren't very hardy, especially in cold weather.
I love mine, but I think bantam cochins are a better option if you like small, fluffy, and friendly birds.

Buffs and Australorps, I have 2 of each. I did not get any RIR (not known to be particularly friendly). They are now only 10 weeks old. So far, our friendliest girl is one of the Australorps and the other is close behind. She lets us pet her and pick her up and she doesn't try to escape. Our Buffs are way more skittish. I'm hoping they warm up with age. With that said, they all have unique personalities. I, also, did a lot of reading before choosing my breeds...now, I'm guessing most of those articles are written by people that have never raised chickens. 😆

Back
Top Bottom