Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

We managed to break our D20 the first day we tried to install it - the 'stop' didn't work and the door got sucked into the motor. Ooops! We did manage to rig a fix with a small metal pin and a glue gun. However, the stops are still weird - hubby insists it was doing this before the break, but I am not so sure. Anyways, the height adjustment gets a little 'off' with each up/down due to some gear slippage so I'll have to adjust the up/down every week or so. It's not perfect but hopefully we can get it working.

The door is only 1.5 pounds, so it's not the weight causing the problem - the initial problem was the motor wasn't able to push the reverse/stop switch - after adjustment it will push it but get a bit out of alignment.

I was thinking of ordering the pullet-shut door for my other coop, but now I'm not so sure.
tongue.png
An up/down door won't work for that coop so I'd need something like that that opens sideways (not enough space for a door to be pulled up).

Quote:
Perspex.........Plexiglas on this side of the pond.
wink.png
Is more than strong enough to withstand the scratching of a critter trying to get in to the coop. 3/16" will be strong enough, 1/8" may flex too much. If you can find some that has a mirror coating on one side and place that on the outside of the coop, the bad guys can't look in......but the chickens can look out.
You could also use ABS sheet plastic, it has a natural lubrication factor. Or a Teflon cutting board available at the Dollar store for a few bucks.

Ron

Quote:
Hi Carol,

caf.gif
Hope I have some good info for you. I was able to read some posts yesterday at work and saw this. I have a AD20 (got it atDiscount Automation for under $90 , and a Lowes timer) for $10) and LOVE LOVE it.
wee.gif
We already had a door, a piece of scrap metal. We, and by "we" I mean hubby, built the sliding frame part out of wood.

So when I got home I showed your post to DH and asked him to ask our techno-geek friend. He did, and here is his response!
thumbsup.gif

"Yes, you can. The Owner's Manual mentions using a 12 volt battery and a digital timer, available from Cabela's. The timer will have connections for the battery, motor and even a solar charger. Make sure you observe the motor and battery's polarity when you make the connections."

I hope it works for you.
fl.gif
I can't say enough about the automatic door. THIS automatic door!

Erin

Green Eggs, thanks for the help. I was pretty sure I could use the battery I have and now I'm convinced. Another question: do you have your motor covered with anything to keep out dust and/or rain? Is your motor mounted inside or outside of your coop? Up here in rainy Oregon, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to buy an electric box cover to keep it clean.

Quote:
It's inside the coop. The whole operation is inside. It's on the side of a stud, with another vertical stud close. A horizontal stud crosses over the top. There is a thin piece of plywood screwed over it. I cannot actually see the motor, because it is behind the wood. It is in a framed box of sorts.

An electric box over it is a good idea to keep water off if you need to.

BTW, hubby installed it literally in 30 minutes. I was amazed.

E/

On my new coup I could not do a up/down slider door as i did on the last one I built. Poor planning on my part, but if that is the worst mistake I made I'll be doing really good! Anyway the new coup has a hinged side opening door (like any door in your house). I bought a really nice spring loaded door closer so the door closes on it's own nice and slow. What I need to know is can I use one of these auto door closers and openers for this type of pop door?

Quote:
I've thought about that too. Though I barely considered a hinged door in our coop. Honestly, the slider came out of my insistence that I wanted an automatic door!
big_smile.png

I don't see why not?!
idunno.gif
I would be concerned the tension would always be on the motor. Probably not more than when the slider is lifted though?

Anyone else?

E/

Quote:
Necessity is the Mother of all invention. From what I understand this motor was built because we were using their indoor drape motor!

It could be a $90 mistake, or it could be genius.

Or... sit on the slideline and wonder.

(That's a speech my mother used to give me...)
he.gif

E/

Carol,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. I was just told of your post from another customer. This is Tony, we manufacture the Pullet Shut door. The door does come with a one year warranty. We stand behind our doors and want happy customers.

I will correct any troubles you are having. Just email us at [email protected] . I'd like to understand what is it doing, and will replace any defective parts.

Thank you
Tony

Back
Top Bottom