Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

Why do I keep trying to reply when I should be getting dressed for work
wink.png

Guys: the circuit I have in mind is basically two 555 one-shots -- one for each direction. They are timed for a bit longer than the door should take to move. Each one-shot starts running when power is applied and shuts off either when the limit switch is hit, or when it times out. By using a 555, you have enough drive for a relay built in without needing extra parts. FOr a low-speed circuit like this one, relays are cheaper than building H-bridges out of transistors or even buying an H-bridge off the shelf.

I don't have a schematic drawn up since my big project right now is a light sensor to get the coop light on when the sun goes down. That will also be the initial control for the door. Once that's all working, I'll build a real timer so I can tell it exactly when to open/close.

Any progress brainstormers? I am waiting for a motor in the mail.

I have fish too, and I actually just ordered an automatic feeder for them. It has a digital timer, and runs on batteries, and has a cylindrical food storage container that is run on a motor type mechanism. Anyway, I was just thinking as I ordered it, hmmm, I wonder... I guess I'll see it when I get it. But I want to use it as it was intended, not take it apart!
smile.png

still in the just thinking phase, ran out of money til next weekend.

wife left the run door open the other night until i got home at 6:45, everyone was fine but the closer is coming for sure now.

Fall/Winter rain is a pretty big consideration here that I will have to think about when considering electronics and motors.
Seems like its been raining a week straight here!

I have been browsing this thread
Thanks everyone for there input
I like the idea of using a threaded rod with some sort of motor to turn the rod up or down,
Also is there a way to use a chain and sprockets?

This is a pretty good site for Stuff
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Jason

Last edited:
Yes, I've busy with other, related things.

I started work on an automatic coop light that would come on at dusk and stay on for about 3 hours. Now after reading a bit more, I'm wondering if it's needed. Seems a lot of people in northern areas are reporting that their hens keep laying all year round without extra light. I think I'm going without the light this year to see what happens.
But I am still building a simple light so I can do a count/egg collection when I get home after dark. I have a light built, but it's much brighter than I need (uses lots more power) so I put together something with six small white LEDs that gives just enough light to see what I'm doing.

Now, as a result of all that, I'm thinking that my door closer should be triggered by darkness rather than on a timer. Light sensor is easy and cheap to build. I'll post a schematic on my site when I have everything dialed in.

Door closer: I have started building hardware! 36" 1/4-20 threaded rod was only $1.70 at Home Depot. I made a holder for a 1/4" nut that will screw onto the door. And the door will roll on rollerskate bearings since I have lots of them lying around.

Still working on coupling the motor to the rod. I plan to get around the ice/dirt problem by mounting all this stuff on the inside and my door will slide horizontally since that's where I have more room.

Quote:
Would love to see pics of the hardware and how it is all coming together.
I am considering the threaded rod option, but I am wary of oxidation, chicken poop, dirt, etc causing harm to the system.

Dave

i don't know if i said it, but i'm going to do a bungee on my 'man' door and an actuator it's really simple with my setup. still thinking about the solar / timer thing. i'll have money on friday and maybe start getting it set up soon.

CedarLake, I think you are on the right track. I use to be anti-light sensor, but then I played with one where I could adjust the sensitivity and think it is a good idea now.

A light sensor with a trim pot (to dial in sensitivity) is a must. That way people can really dial it in based on the location of the sensor and coop.

Peepthis541, using zinc coated parts or even stainless steel would be a good way to go. Also, you could mount the motor and drill at the top of the door to avoid dirt and poop.

Back
Top Bottom