Autosexing cross/breed creation

what sex-linked genes will stack?
Barring is really the big one. Most autosexing breeds are based around it, with additional fiddling to make the difference between the sexes stand out more (for instance, [and I don't know why] some varieties of duckwing are autosexing. It's not a sexlinked pattern, but for some reason, male duckwing chicks tend to be lighter than female chicks. It's particularly noticeable in Welsummers. Partially for this reason, duckwing is often the base pattern used to make an autosexing breed.)

Feathering speed stacks. In a fast-feathering breed (Leghorns) males will feather out faster than females. In a slow-feathering breed, (Barred Rocks) the males will feather out more slowly. This is sometimes not true of hatchery birds, due to their not being selected for feathering speed.

Eye colour (gold vs dark) is supposed to be sexlinked, though I don't know if that stacks.

Those are really the only ones I know, though I won't say that others don't exist.

Ohh that makes sense and what is wild type color mutation because it is my understanding that barred over wild type results in autosexing coloration. are wild types duckwings?
Yes. Duckwing is wild type.

(I'm tossing this in there, because it's confusing, and if you're serious about this, you'll eventually come across it) Wild type is also, in some breeds, and in Europe, called partridge. However, in the States, partridge usually means the multiple-laced pattern (brahmas, barnevelders).

so are red dorkings and brown leghorns are also wild type? can gold duckwings be used to create a autosexing cross? are black breasted red wild type, as i heard they are sometimes called red duckwings?

so are red dorkings and brown leghorns are also wild type?
Yes
can gold duckwings be used to create a autosexing cross?
Yes. I'd add barring, or work very hard on selecting for autosexing duckwing, though (some duckwing lines, as I've said, autosex better than others. Your welsummer boy might be good.)
are black breasted red wild type, as i heard they are sometimes called red duckwings?
Yes, they're duckwing, but with a mahogany modifier. I've heard that they can be autosexing (again, depending on whether the breeder breeds for it) but I've never tried it myself.

In a bit of a hurry as I skimmed these posts, but barring is a great sex-linked gene because the hen can only pass her barring gene onto her male chicks, so if you breed a barred hen to a solid roo, only the male offspring will hatch barred (a white dot on the head of a chick indicates barring). So any barred hen bred to a solid rooster will give you sex-linked chicks.

A barred roo, on the other hand, will pass his barring genes onto both male and female chicks. So if you're using barring as a sex-linked gene, be sure you have a barred hen and a solid roo.

Back
Top Bottom