Avalanch Trucks?

Rollerman

Chirping
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Anyone own an Avalanch? If so my advise is sell it or give it away quickly! They are money eaters when it comes to repairs. My tail gate handle broke,I have the part which is around $70 but the problem is you basically have to rebuild the tail gate to get it on! Now my transmission has gone out. The price tag $1700 to $2000! I'm really thinking this is the worse Chevy truck to own!

Have you ever had to buy dealer parts before?

I garauntee chevy avalanch is no worse than any other make or model of vehicle

$1700 to $2000 that's about the going rate for a complete tranny rebuild.

By the way, I do not own a avalanch nor a chevy, just saying, they all cost lots of money.

PS

My last tranny rebuild was in '04 on a 1999 Dodge 1500 pick up, if memory serves it was about $1600.

wow thats a great price for a tranny. I'm having to consider changing mine, junk yard tranny is going at about 3500 and up...so i havent even considered a crate tranny. I love the Avelanch trucks, hope to have one some day. I have several friends who have them and have done them up really nicely. If they have to "rebuild" the tailgate to simply get the handle back on, it's likely to either have electrical or an intricate mechanical setup inside that needs to be connected to the new pull handle.

what year is this truck and how many miles do you have on it? I've always been a Chevy girl, but i'll tell you, my dad bought his first ever brand new truck in 09, a silverado and has had nothing but problems since day 1 and GM wont do a thing for him. His problems are far worse than a tailgate tho...braking system, electrical system, charging system...ohhh and the bed has shifted on the frame some how. No accidents so thats not it.

Quote:
Why are you considering changing the tranny? If you have it rebuilt by a good company, everything inside the tranny is changed. In some cases updates are added to increase performance and durability. It comes back to you just like brand new.

No way, no how, would I put a second hand, history unknown, salvage tranny in anything I own, not even at half the cost you quoted. And the price I quoted was removal and reinstallation was included, with a junker, it's definitely a do-it yourself, get your hands dirty, bust your knuckles job. I would much rather pay twice the cost for a rebuild than I would for a salvage tranny. If your prices are accurate you are paying twice for a salvage that what a rebuild can be had for-- no way. Your money, your auto, but I would advise against it.

engine for dodge 1988 ram charger 2500, not installed.
used engine for 1990 honda civic 2300 installed.
transmission for one ton truck 4800 installed.
transmission for 1988 dodge ramcharger 2200.

Not having to walk 26 miles each way to work .... priceless.

Quote:
Why are you considering changing the tranny? If you have it rebuilt by a good company, everything inside the tranny is changed. In some cases updates are added to increase performance and durability. It comes back to you just like brand new.

No way, no how, would I put a second hand, history unknown, salvage tranny in anything I own, not even at half the cost you quoted. And the price I quoted was removal and reinstallation was included, with a junker, it's definitely a do-it yourself, get your hands dirty, bust your knuckles job. I would much rather pay twice the cost for a rebuild than I would for a salvage tranny. If your prices are accurate you are paying twice for a salvage that what a rebuild can be had for-- no way. Your money, your auto, but I would advise against it.

Because i cant find anyone to do it. Not many are willing to rebuild a mitsubishi tranny in an awd. I'm very well in the "know" about cars, been in the business for 20years and an avid gearhead since i was 14. I don't know what junk yards you're going to, but the ones i have dealings with both pull the trans, check it over well, deliver it right to my house and carry a guarentee on them. The trans in my suv is a sealed trans, not even a pan or filter to change unless you want to drop it and disassemble it to reach the internal "non-serviceable" filter in it. I COULD have it serviced and have the sensor changed which is one of the suspects, but to do that we're looking at 1200.00 for that and it's not guarenteeing it's the actual problem. So say I drop the 1200 to have the sensor replaced, they put it back in and still the same problem...then i can pay another 1200 to have them drop it and fix something else and see if that works, or i go and get another trans. Seems to me the more logical thing would be to get one with a guarentee and put it in myself >with a bit of help from my hubby< and be done with it.

My son has one, no more of a money pit vs any other trucks we've had. Son LOVES it, handles well, he bought it, I don't interfer.

Back
Top Bottom