Awesome coop door design!

snoggle

Chirping
7 Years
So, when we asked our family friend to build our coop, we knew he'd come up with better ideas than we could. So we told him our size requirements, etc. and let him work out the details. I told him I wanted to be able to open the door for the chickens to go into their yard without having to go in or out of the coop or yard (while rushing to work in the morning). Here is what he came up with. I think it is ingenious....

I just pull the inner pipe toward me and the door should fall (though this isn't working yet because I need to put weight on the door). Then to close it I pull the rope that pulls the door up and then I push the pipe back across it. I'll take pictures tomorrow of it with the yard attached, etc. that might show it a little better.

Very nice set up! Great job at building!
thumbsup.gif

So, when we asked our family friend to build our coop, we knew he'd come up with better ideas than we could. So we told him our size requirements, etc. and let him work out the details. I told him I wanted to be able to open the door for the chickens to go into their yard without having to go in or out of the coop or yard (while rushing to work in the morning). Here is what he came up with. I think it is ingenious....

I just pull the inner pipe toward me and the door should fall (though this isn't working yet because I need to put weight on the door). Then to close it I pull the rope that pulls the door up and then I push the pipe back across it. I'll take pictures tomorrow of it with the yard attached, etc. that might show it a little better.

I would ask him to flip the door upside down and use the rope to pull it shut -- keep the pipe. This makes it so there is not a rope tied to the bottom of the ramp -- you dont really need a ramp as your coop sits so close to the ground.

Clever!!! I need something like this but that I could open from the opposite side of the coop, without going in. That would take some serious masterminding, something my husband and boys might be able to think up but that I would fall flat on. I might ask them to get on it though and see what they come up with, just for fun. Keeps them off the street. :)

Clever!!! I need something like this but that I could open from the opposite side of the coop, without going in. That would take some serious masterminding, something my husband and boys might be able to think up but that I would fall flat on. I might ask them to get on it though and see what they come up with, just for fun. Keeps them off the street. :)
I have the same thing on the other side of the coop too. Is that what you mean? I don't have to go in the coop or the yard to open it. This would work.

I love this coop and I want to do my coop door just like your with the pull string however my concern is my chicks will be in an enclosed run and the string will be tripping them up or just laying around waiting for them to get entangled in it during the day.

How do you all deal with the string hanging down when the door is open?

Back
Top Bottom