AYAM CEMANI - BREEDING & DISCUSSION.

Pics
We breed Ayam Cemani, and we are going into our second year. They are not known to lay well, but we only had a lull during molt. Just a little lull when it was real cold, but it didnt stay cold long here. We have never lost one to the cold, and we are in Illinois. They are not known to be broody, but we have had 3 go broody all in one summer. Plus, they are excellent with other breeds. Sometimes when we have a cull (pet quality) bird we want to keep, but not breed, we put them with our barnyard mix, and they get along great. Feel free to ask anymore questions.

We breed Ayam Cemani, and we are going into our second year. They are not known to lay well, but we only had a lull during molt. Just a little lull when it was real cold, but it didnt stay cold long here. We have never lost one to the cold, and we are in Illinois. They are not known to be broody, but we have had 3 go broody all in one summer. Plus, they are excellent with other breeds. Sometimes when we have a cull (pet quality) bird we want to keep, but not breed, we put them with our barnyard mix, and they get along great. Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Do you know what line you have? I had someone tell me that their Ayam Cemani also lay well all year but they didn't know the line. I recall that some have suggested that the Smithsonian Line had been crossed with Leghorn at some point but I'm not sure if that is accurate but certainly would explain increased egg production.

Do you know what line you have? I had someone tell me that their Ayam Cemani also lay well all year but they didn't know the line. I recall that some have suggested that the Smithsonian Line had been crossed with Leghorn at some point but I'm not sure if that is accurate but certainly would explain increased egg production.

They are Stagecoach Poultry and Sandy Crest Farms they basically go back to gff

Last edited:

There definitely is suspicion that the Smithsonian and Mike Bean lines were crossed out to leghorn, and there's good reason to back it up. For one he was actually selling eggs on eBay for a a while calling them 90% pure AC eggs and saying right in the listing that he had crossed them out to leghorns.

I actually owned two of these birds at one point. One died and never made it to maturity, but the pullet did and she was very leghorn-like in type. She had the classic leghorn tail and a very leghorn like body shape. Plus she had a huge single comb that flopped over, something I've never seen in pullets of the other lines but is common in leghorns.

So while nobody can say for sure that it happened the evidence is there.

Last edited:
Please don't breed these to create lesser quality birds. These birds are being misrepresented by so many people. They are selling birds with red combs and no..gray is not good. Greed is ruining this breed. Greed and bad breeding, out and out lying about what is acceptable..the pure, good bird is very very expensive so if you buy a bird for $200, chances are its not pure or breeding quality.

I firmly believe that Smithsonian does not breed well just an opinion and I have heard too many negatives about this Mike fellow not to believe there is something not kosher about that situation. Just opinion..thats all.

Question:

I have 3 chicks. I am pretty good at sexing at 3-days old and using this method thought I hatched out 3 females. Now I am not so sure. 1 is 2-days older and is the same size as a male Cream Legbar that hatched the same day while my other 2 are half the the size.

So I am now unsure if I have 3-females or if I have 1-male and 2- females.

They all started the same size more or less.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Question:

I have 3 chicks. I am pretty good at sexing at 3-days old and using this method thought I hatched out 3 females. Now I am not so sure. 1 is 2-days older and is the same size as a male Cream Legbar that hatched the same day while my other 2 are half the the size.

So I am now unsure if I have 3-females or if I have 1-male and 2- females.

They all started the same size more or less.

Thanks!

How are you sexing them?

Feather sexing using the wings at 3 days...

The flash makes their down look white... one does have white feathers and I'm waiting to see what happens after their first moult...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom