AYAM CEMANI - BREEDING & DISCUSSION.

Pics
White toes and leakage can happen in any lines, just fyi... but if purchasing chicks, the culls shouldn't be shipped out as AC's, IMO...

I had a cockerel in my 2nd generation with severe silver leakage, but his fibro expression was exceptional...
View attachment 1156391

The cockerel you posted bothers me most with his fibro, I have seen half AC crosses with better fibro... :/
White toes and leakage can happen in any lines, just fyi... but if purchasing chicks, the culls shouldn't be shipped out as AC's, IMO...

I had a cockerel in my 2nd generation with severe silver leakage, but his fibro expression was exceptional...

View attachment 1156391

The cockerel you posted bothers me most with his fibro, I have seen half AC crosses with better fibro... :/
I was really upset with that entire experience! All the chicks were solid black w/the exception of a few white toe nails when I got them. All those gold feathers didn't pop up until they began to moult at about 4-5 months. I kept one roo and 2 hens that r solid black, however the roo still has a bit of MULBERRY in his waddles. So, i will see how the chicks come out, and heavy cull from there. The 6 others I culled all became pets in mixed flocks and will not be used for anything other than egg production.

I was really upset with that entire experience! All the chicks were solid black w/the exception of a few white toe nails when I got them. All those gold feathers didn't pop up until they began to moult at about 4-5 months. I kept one roo and 2 hens that r solid black, however the roo still has a bit of MULBERRY in his waddles. So, i will see how the chicks come out, and heavy cull from there. The 6 others I culled all became pets in mixed flocks and will not be used for anything other than egg production.

Sorry for your bad experience. A word of warning, hens can carry leakage without expressing it, so even though those two don't appear to have leakage, they may well pass it to their offspring. Leakage is a problem in every line (I think I finally got rid of it in my line last year) so the leakage isn't something that's too unusual, but sending chicks with white toenails is no good - those are culls here, and I'd never send them to someone who bought AC chicks from me.

I plan on holding on to thier offspring until they are 4-5 mo. Old and feather out. Quess I will heavy cull thier offspring. If the hens produce a lot of chicks with leakage..quess they will be moved into egg production status only. One if the hens is very sweet..even the roo is sweet.out of curiosity..how long/ generations did it take to cull if out?

I plan on holding on to thier offspring until they are 4-5 mo. Old and feather out. Quess I will heavy cull thier offspring. If the hens produce a lot of chicks with leakage..quess they will be moved into egg production status only. One if the hens is very sweet..even the roo is sweet.out of curiosity..how long/ generations did it take to cull if out?

I got really lucky, to be honest. Leakage is hard to pin down unless you are marking each hen's vent and growing out her children to specifically see what she's throwing. The hens I culled for other reasons also happened to be the ones that were carrying leakage. Because of that streak of luck, it was gone in three generations from my line. I haven't grown out a bird and had it have leakage in over a year, maybe two I think.

Last edited:
dawnacus 509.jpg
I bought eggs from a lady one state over, (They came through the mail just fine)it was pure breed eggs diff kinds. Then I had a black out during hatching. I had 3 AC eggs only this one hatched. I have some other purebred eggs hatching as well, it will be fun to see diff breeds running about. I was not planning on breeding them, just wanted a pretty rare bird to look at.

SUBJECT: WING SEXING

hi AC people! I was wondering if any of you had any luck wing sexing Ayam Cemani chicks to see if the wing sexing works with this breed? I hatched 3 babies last month and all three looked like girls according to the wing sex technique of Long Short Long Short etc buuuut again I am not experienced with these things, any of you know if wing sexing works on AC chicks? Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom