Azure blue

UrbanHenKW123

Songster
Jun 25, 2019
Kitchener - Canada
Hi everyone ! I’m looking to add to my flock and I’m debating whether I’m going to hatch my own crested cream legbars or if I’m going to get a ready to lay from my local hatchery. I really want a blue layer. I can’t have any males due to our bylaws here. I don’t think I can get legbars from anywhere around here. I’ve checked a few hatcheries around here and it’s not listed as an option. There’s a part of me that wants to do the hatching and another part that doesn’t bc of having to wait for them to mature to integrate into my flock and then wait for the eggs.
The only blue layer we seem to have around here is azure blue. But when I try to find information about that breed I can’t really find anything specific. Is an azure blue a mix of blue layers ?

Hi everyone ! I’m looking to add to my flock and I’m debating whether I’m going to hatch my own crested cream legbars or if I’m going to get a ready to lay from my local hatchery. I really want a blue layer. I can’t have any males due to our bylaws here. I don’t think I can get legbars from anywhere around here. I’ve checked a few hatcheries around here and it’s not listed as an option. There’s a part of me that wants to do the hatching and another part that doesn’t bc of having to wait for them to mature to integrate into my flock and then wait for the eggs.
The only blue layer we seem to have around here is azure blue. But when I try to find information about that breed I can’t really find anything specific. Is an azure blue a mix of blue layers ?

did you end up getting azures? If you’re from Kitchener there’s bound to be some legbars or ameraucana near you. I’m north of Toronto and everything is out your way. I know a great breeder in Milton and several near Guelph if you need some contacts. There’s a breeder here who has some Azures also so I might try a couple and see what they’re like:)

did you end up getting azures? If you’re from Kitchener there’s bound to be some legbars or ameraucana near you. I’m north of Toronto and everything is out your way. I know a great breeder in Milton and several near Guelph if you need some contacts. There’s a breeder here who has some Azures also so I might try a couple and see what they’re like:)
Thanks so much for the reply ! I was able to find some legbar eggs and I hatched them. I have my chicks now. ☺️

Hi ev-chicka - would love some information some azures eggs or chicks - any information would be lovely if you could pm me.
Thanks and have an awesome day

Hi ev-chicka - would love some information some azures eggs or chicks - any information would be lovely if you could pm me.
Thanks and have an awesome day

I would love some information on Azur blue chickens if anyone has it?? I can’t find much. I just got one and the thing jumped and climbed over a 7 foot fence! I was chasing it around the yard. Do they fly or just jump high?? Good Lord. I put it in the coop until I figure out what to do.

I purchased 2 Azure blue Ready to Lay hens from Frey's hatchery (St. Jacobs, ON). I've had them for 3 weeks and were laying from the first day we've had them. 6 eggs / week from each. Eggs are very good and baby blue shells from both. Mostly white with some specks of dark feathers in a couple areas. One has a giant comb that partially flops over one eye. Like SarahDawn - ours have escaped a few times and are very timid , they run away from every movement. - haven't been able to get them to come close even with seed treats in my hand - the 2 older chickens (Red-X and Barred Rock) were much more calm when we received them. They are slowly integrating with the other 2, but they don't seem to be the types of chickens to hang out with you while you do the chores. Time will tell.

I would love to get the info for those breeders you mention. Do you know if they vaccinate?

I purchased 2 Azure blue Ready to Lay hens from Frey's hatchery (St. Jacobs, ON). I've had them for 3 weeks and were laying from the first day we've had them. 6 eggs / week from each. Eggs are very good and baby blue shells from both. Mostly white with some specks of dark feathers in a couple areas. One has a giant comb that partially flops over one eye. Like SarahDawn - ours have escaped a few times and are very timid , they run away from every movement. - haven't been able to get them to come close even with seed treats in my hand - the 2 older chickens (Red-X and Barred Rock) were much more calm when we received them. They are slowly integrating with the other 2, but they don't seem to be the types of chickens to hang out with you while you do the chores. Time will tell.

I have had mine for a month and a half and she is exactly how you described. like sketchy and timid. ALTHOUGH, the last week me and my son have been spending more time down there bringing treats and talking to her. Tossing treats to her over the rest of the flock that will come right up to us. She is actually coming close to us within a few feet now haha. I think if we stay persistent and consistent she will come around but she has been a hard one to break!

The Azures from Frey hatchery are crossed with leghorns. I have 4 Azures and 2 Brown Bovans (Sex links).
the Browns are so cool calm and collected. The Azures are flighty and spook easy. Three of the Azures have mellowed a bit but not as calm as the browns. One of the Azures is really scared of me. She was traumatized the first week when she got out I had to catch her to put her in the pen. She was screaming like I was killing her. I was very gentle and tried to calm her but she was traumatize. She is also the bully of the flock. The Azures lay very strong light blue eggs and lots of them. Even with these shorter days I‘ve been getting full production 6 days a week. I seem to drop 1 egg 1 day per week so far.
One of the Azures has white and grey legs and beak, the others have yellow legs and beak. The white and grey didn’t start to lay until 6 weeks after her sisters but now has settled into a good pattern.
I love the blue eggs but not the flighty moods. I also do not like the big floppy comb. I worry about frost bite this winter.
I find the browns to be the best birds, calm, friendly and producers of beautiful brown eggs. The eggs are a very rich almost golden brown. I would highly recommend these to someone with children. They are almost like a pet puppy.

Back
Top Bottom