B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

on another topic, i picked up 2 NICE red dorking cockerels yesterday... 12-16 weeks old-ish, and already as big as my craig russell roo. AND they LOOK like dorkings too. not like leghorns with 5 toes, like some of the others i've already culled from other sources... these guys are from gene patterson and roger tice lines, and i couldn't be happier with them so far. big, blocky and everything i could hope for (so far). now to get them 'growed up' and my girls too (who are a bit older).

on another topic, i picked up 2 NICE red dorking cockerels yesterday... 12-16 weeks old-ish, and already as big as my craig russell roo. AND they LOOK like dorkings too. not like leghorns with 5 toes, like some of the others i've already culled from other sources... these guys are from gene patterson and roger tice lines, and i couldn't be happier with them so far. big, blocky and everything i could hope for (so far). now to get them 'growed up' and my girls too (who are a bit older).

cool.png
yesss.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif

Did you get them from Mary (RoseHaven?) in FL? I want to see pics!

Does anyone know where I can get a good SG cockerel? I was able to find 4 pullets about a month ago. They came with a Silver Gray rooster. They are now about 25 weeks old, and I would never consider breeding him. His size, type, and coloring are just so awful. The person that I got him from purchased him from Ideal hatchery. I hatched out a couple of eggs that I got from a breeder, and was raising a young cockerel that I hoped would be a possible replacement to the one I have. Unfortunately, my neighbor’s cat thought otherwise. I have taken care of neighbor’s cat. I am now looking to buy a cockerel, but I don’t know where to look. I would like to purchase some young ones from someone if anyone knows where I could find them or has them. I would even be interested in just purchasing an older one if it was of good quality. I don’t know how that would work with shipping.

Does anyone know where I can get a good SG cockerel? I was able to find 4 pullets about a month ago. They came with a Silver Gray rooster. They are now about 25 weeks old, and I would never consider breeding him. His size, type, and coloring are just so awful. The person that I got him from purchased him from Ideal hatchery. I hatched out a couple of eggs that I got from a breeder, and was raising a young cockerel that I hoped would be a possible replacement to the one I have. Unfortunately, my neighbor’s cat thought otherwise. I have taken care of neighbor’s cat. I am now looking to buy a cockerel, but I don’t know where to look. I would like to purchase some young ones from someone if anyone knows where I could find them or has them. I would even be interested in just purchasing an older one if it was of good quality. I don’t know how that would work with shipping.
well, i now have 2 spare reds, but am waiting for the younger 2 to mature and decide which is the keeper. I also have 3 sg roosters now, but again, waiting to see how the youngest matures.

Unfortunately, my neighbor’s cat thought otherwise. I have taken care of neighbor’s cat.
Was having what I thought was raccoon problems so i bought a live trap from TSC. We caught 4 cats in 3 days. Haven't lost a bird since. If folks loved their cats like we do they wouldn't let them roam at night. Feel like it's my birds or their cats and my birds have the right to live on my property. Can't say the same for the neighbors cat. Eventually they will figure out that cats should not roam at night.

Quote: i can sympathize. my neighbor is building a feral cat colony i think... she's got a couple mommas that hang out by her front door, and a large number more that i see wandering around now and then, with more kittens showing up randomly... think i need to start live trapping, but i'm afraid i'll catch my own cats, who get along fine with the chickens. LOL

Quote: Were you losing adult chickens? We lost 2 Modern Bantam hens and 3 chickens that were around 3-4 lbs. Set traps out and caught the same cat twice and let it go until it occurred to us it could be the CAT killing the birds! That cat won't get set loose the next time.
What size were the birds you lost? I wonder how many people assume it's raccoons (I did, too) when really it's cats?

Back
Top Bottom