Dorking chicks coloring

inquisitivebird

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2014
I just hatched 2 Dorking chicks yesterday and they don't look anything like typical dorkings. I hatched chicks from the same hens last year and they had the traditional chipmunk pattering. This year I had the same hens in a pen with 2 roosters, one was a new one from a different line and the other was the son of the hens. Below is a photo of the chicks. At first I thought that they must be males as they are lighter in color, but then as I compared them to pictures online and thought about what my Dorking chicks looked like last year, I really am not sure what is going on because these chicks don't look like dorkings at all. The rooster from a new line was definitely a pure Dorking. Does anyone have any ideas?

The only other thing I can think of, is. That they were incubated in a really horrible incubator that I always have trouble with and usually lose 80-90% of the eggs, I can't figure out why, but used the incubator because my other one was full already. These chicks had trouble learning to walk and stumbled around a lot more than normal for a chick for the first day, but they seem to be doing OK now after practicing for a while.
IMG_20220907_193450.jpg
IMG_20220907_193546.jpg
IMG_20220907_193357.jpg

Do you have pictures of each adult bird you have?
Yes, they are silver grey dorkings.

Screenshot_20220908_080312.jpg

Screenshot_20220908_080258.jpg

Below is more of what I was expecting. The chick on the bottom right is the male, but still looks different to mine I think.
SilverGrayDorkingChix.jpeg
DorkChixSexing.jpeg

Last edited:
No other birds?
No, I'm 100% sure there are no other birds as I had them separated from my other birds and they were in a different location quite far away from our other chickens. We have a large farm. They were acres apart from other chickens with trees and hills and rivers between.

Back
Top Bottom