Baby black copper maran

I can already tell one is a roo I think he's the only one with a viable comb. The rest don't have combs but a couple have bigger tails so I think they are the girls. I want a roo tho because I want to hatch my own.
When you get a straight run it is inevitable to end up with some males. My first straight run I ended up with 7 roosters. Four of them were delicious. This time around, I wanted to be sure, so I made positive they would all be female.

When you get a straight run it is inevitable to end up with some males.  My first straight run I ended up with 7 roosters.  Four of them were delicious.  This time around, I wanted to be sure, so I made positive they would all be female.

I'm wimpy with my own birds I can't do the freezer camp thing lol

I'm wimpy with my own birds I can't do the freezer camp thing lol
I am self-taught on culling roosters. I have to say unless they are mean as snakes there isn't a lot of satisfaction in the act, but the end result from dinners, to green chili chicken enchiladas, to chicken noodle soup is pretty tasty and can't compare with anything you get in the store.

I am self-taught on culling roosters.  I have to say unless they are mean as snakes there isn't a lot of satisfaction in the act, but the end result from dinners, to green chili chicken enchiladas, to chicken noodle soup is pretty tasty and can't compare with anything you get in the store.

I have tremendous respect for those than can. Hoping to get there ...

I have tremendous respect for those than can. Hoping to get there ...
The first time is the hardest, like a lot of things. It also gives you a closeness to your food source, and the need to use everything. There is significance in taking a life, and the desire to do it as humanely as possible. This is in direct dichotomy to the Tyson companies that treat their birds badly, and then slaughter them wholesale. When you take your own, you know what it has been eating, and living. And if you do go that route, pull the food for 24 hours. It is a lot less messier that way. Also, I find that putting them upside down, sedates them somewhat, it also gets the majority of the blood out of the carcass. If you have ever cleaned a deer you know blood is slippery and gets in the way. A pretty well drained rooster solves a lot of that.

The first time is the hardest, like a lot of things.  It also gives you a closeness to your food source, and the need to use everything.  There is significance in taking a life, and the desire to do it as humanely as possible.  This is in direct dichotomy to the Tyson companies that treat their birds badly, and then slaughter them wholesale.  When you take your own, you know what it has been eating, and living.  And if you do go that route, pull the food for 24 hours.  It is a lot less messier that way.  Also, I find that putting them upside down, sedates them somewhat, it also gets the majority of the blood out of the carcass.  If you have ever cleaned a deer you know blood is slippery and gets in the way.  A pretty well drained rooster solves a lot of that.

Hubby wants to do it, he's a hunter and his dad was a butcher. I just have to figure how to look at them as food not my babies lol

Quote:
Excess or mean roosters are food. If we think about it, chickens are food one way or the other. Hens provide eggs, roosters either provide a friendly service to the hens and not spur the owner, or they become delicious.

Here is an update, here "she " is at 7 weeks. There is no way she is a black copper maran she looks to me to be a black Cochin hen.. What y'all think?

Back
Top Bottom