What's the best thing about Black Copper Marans?!

Sequoia Raven Bird Farms

Sing the song of your soul 🎶 ✨️
Sep 8, 2023
🍫Hello!!! I found a really nice looking pair of Black Copper Marans hens on Kijiji today, and I'm very exited!
:frow:pop:p:p🥰 They seem like a very amazing breed, and this is a great deal! So now, I'm wondering the unknown amazing things this breed has, but are mostly unspoken of by "breed guides" and such! So I'm just wondering the bonuses :D lol!
What's the best bonuses & cutest moments you've had with Blk Copper Marans?? :D :p

Bonuses for me are the quest to get them as close to SOP as I can and also breeding them for their dark eggs. I love the different shades and speckles each of my girls lay. I'm no where close to breeding status or dark egg colors to sell but it's a fun journey. Goofball moments is when the boys try to cram themselves in the smallest spot they can find and call the girls over to tell them they found a good place to lay. I never have my camera at these moments it seems.
IMG_20230701_130759.jpg
20230903_171447.jpg
IMG_20231007_133924.jpg
IMG_20230703_193823.jpg
20230903_170536.jpg
IMG_20230701_131127.jpg

Bonuses for me are the quest to get them as close to SOP as I can and also breeding them for their dark eggs. I love the different shades and speckles each of my girls lay. I'm no where close to breeding status or dark egg colors to sell but it's a fun journey. Goofball moments is when the boys try to cram themselves in the smallest spot they can find and call the girls over to tell them they found a good place to lay. I never have my camera at these moments it seems.
View attachment 3661222View attachment 3661223View attachment 3661224View attachment 3661225View attachment 3661226View attachment 3661227
AWWWW

Standard of Perfection... It's the breed standard or what the bird should look like set by the APA. (American Poultry Association)

https://maranschickenclubusa.com/general-description

Even their eggs...As an example the Black Copper Marans have a color chart for their eggs. A bird that doesn't lay at least a 4 on the color chart is not considered a true Marans.

This is an excellent read...

https://chickenexperts.com/blogs/ch...ken-a-colored-egg-masterclass-and-breed-guide

Edited to add...
A couple fun facts to impress your friends if your brand new to Black Copper Marans breed.

..BCM's lay the darkest eggs of any chicken breed with the darkest being a 9 on the color chart.

..Julia Childs, the famous tv chef would only bake with Marans eggs in her recipes.

..James Bond would always request Marans eggs when he ordered breakfast.

Hope this helps.... 😃

Last edited:
I like them so much I'm looking for Black Silvers now and may get Blue Coppers in near future.

How many Marans do you have? I have 11 (6 hens, 3pullets & 2 Roos) all BCM.
Right now we have a bunch of muts. Partly because of a 'rescue' DW did before a recent hurricane. (They turned out to be bantum gamecocks.) Were strongly considering starting with a clean slate of Marans.

Back
Top Bottom