Black Copper Maran. A MYSTERY? Help with breed PLEASE!

RrooKk

Chirping
May 1, 2020
New England, USA.
So this past weekend I paid for what were supposed to be four PURE Dark Brahma pullets...needless to say I'm 100% sure these cuties are NOT. After a little back and forth with the seller I was given a refund and a "We don't want them back." So they are mine. But not only am I left without the Dark Brahmas I really wanted, but I have four chicks I don't know the breed of.

The breeder did not believe me when I said they were not Dark Brahmas, as they paid for a pure breeding pair from where ever they got theirs. I am convinced they are pure, whatever they are, based on this guys set up with breeding pairs. He had all chickens in separate pens with no access to chickens that weren't the same breed. These guys ALL have straight combs, not pea combs, and Dark Brahmas are more brown and chipmunky (in my experience) when they are babies. These are mostly black, with small amounts of white on the wings, face, and tummy. My wife and I did a little research and with the feet feathers, straight combs, and coloration we are leaning towards Black Copper Marans? The breeder said the adults are a deep deep black almost iridescent.

Any info would be appreciated! Even with the circumstances they are adorable chicks and they have very laid back personalities.

Chicks are around a week old, so I've been told. And all chicks look very similar to each other.

Thanks all!!

IMG_20200521_193344846_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20200521_193357682.jpg
IMG_20200521_193403330.jpg
IMG_20200521_193425997~2.jpg
IMG_20200521_193506888.jpg
IMG_20200521_193510530.jpg

Could be Black Langshan...

The spotted faces and dark legs/pink feet/leg feathers are Langshan as well.

Regardless- they're cute and you'll have cool eggs from either breed. Dark brown from Marans or plum from the Langshans.

P.S. Glad you got a refund- they're so NOT Brahmas ;)

Could be Black Langshan...

The spotted faces and dark legs/pink feet/leg feathers are Langshan as well.

Regardless- they're cute and you'll have cool eggs from either breed. Dark brown from Marans or plum from the Langshans.

P.S. Glad you got a refund- they're so NOT Brahmas ;)

Just looked them up and it looks like its going to be very tough to tell which breed they are between the two! They are so similar. I guess I'll know for sure when they start laying eggs?Thank-you for your input.

Just looked them up and it looks like its going to be very tough to tell which breed they are between the two! They are so similar. I guess I'll know for sure when they start laying eggs?Thank-you for your input.
I've read that way back when- Langshans were one the of the breeds used to create Marans- so until they're many weeks older it's going to be a tough call!

Hopefully it's more fun than frustrating for you...

I've read that way back when- Langshans were one the of the breeds used to create Marans- so until they're many weeks older it's going to be a tough call!

Hopefully it's more fun than frustrating for you...

So far it's fun! I'm not obsessing over it too much 😅 I can definitely wait though.

Back
Top Bottom