Baby chick behavior

buzzannie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Flower Mound, TX
I have a question for those of you experienced in raising chicks.
We have a group of 8 hatched recently, they are a week and a half old. Obviously we don't know sex yet.
Currently, they sleep in a large dog crate at night and we move the crate next to their play pen and let them through.
This morning, while waiting for my help to move the crate, I noticed that at least half of them were doing a familiar rooster behavior I've noticed. We had two bantam roosters that always did this jump to fight one another. It almost looked like a chest bump. Well, some of the little chicks are doing this.
So, from anyone who knew specifically that they had females, did they ever do this?
Or am I looking at lots of little roo's?!
Thanks!

When the chicks are that young there are no specific ways they could be acting like a rooster, so the chicks you are talking about could be boys or girls.

Im certainly not super experienced .... But i have 8 pullets and 4 i got from 2 days old and they all did this :) i then added the other 4 at 8 weeks old and they have done ot a couple times

Im certainly not super experienced .... But i have 8 pullets and 4 i got from 2 days old and they all did this
smile.png
i then added the other 4 at 8 weeks old and they have done ot a couple times

x2

Back
Top Bottom