Baby chick can't stand up!

Does he just lay on his side or flip over backwards.

If he is a flipper, try putting him in a sock with his head out and put in a bowl on a heating pad so he stays warm. Be sure to keep an eye on how warm he gets and got try and get some vit water into him.

I had one do this and by the 2nd day he was up and running normally. Just had to figure out which way was up.

He doesn't flip over and he doesn't lay on his side, he just lays there. He seems to be getting stronger although he won't stand and I did put him a sock. One of his legs seems to go out to the side more when he is laying down. When picked up, he peeps loudly and he definitely has fight in him.

I keep feeding him sugar water, hard boiled some egg for him, put him in a sock and laid him in a box by himself, which he is fine with. He doesn't move and when he does he is like a inch worm.

Thanks for replying and the sock idea hopefully will help.
smile.png

I am thinking straddle leg as well except I thought this was from being on slippery bedding.?. I will look into straddle leg and then will try the bandaid idea, thanks!

And please put some vitamins in his water and be sure he gets to drink. Baby vitamins without iron if you don't have poultry vitamins. Sorry to hear this, I kow you want to get him up. Good footing vital too as already said.

I band-aided his legs and he still wont even attempt to upright himself, I am making sure he gets enough to drink with a dropper and feeding him yogurt. My dh is on his way to town to get some vitamin drops. Thank you.

I really thought that when I band-aid his legs he would attempt to upright himself. He seems strong enough, chirping away and when I hold him trying to wiggle and thrash around. SIGH!!!!

I was wondering if you sorted this problem out? I have the same thing with a pekin bantam chick. Not sure about sticking anything to its legs has there furry. Would appreciate any help thank you.

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner, Jake. No, I finally culled him a few days after hatching, it was awful but nothing was helping and in the end it was the best decision I think I could have made.

I hope yours get better!
hugs.gif

I had one hatch yesterday with curled toes. I did the bandaid on both feet but it can't stand at all. It's shoulders are very small, almost not there and the legs go straight forward. Any tips as to how to get its legs underneath him? I am giving water with eye dropper and added electrolytes. Has not eaten yet but constantly uses its wings to try to stand but just cant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom