Baby chick can't stand up!

momma's chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Idaho
My eggs hatched out yesterday and among them is a beautiful softest chick I have ever saw, feathers on its feet and everything. The problem is is now it has been hatched for 24 hours or more and still can't stand up. If it I turn it over on its back both legs move wildly but if I lay it down, it lays there, it tries to hop around but it doesn't lift its head much either. I really don't want to cull this poor baby but am not sure what to do for it. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!

My Silkie could not stand up at all. Both legs splayed and one stuck upwards and looked twisted and crooked.. it could grab my fingers with it's toes. I put band-aids on it's legs but was a struggle, as the chick kept pushing it's twisted leg the wrong way to walk. But since it could grab my fingers I thought it may be able to grab wire, as well. It worked!! But then, the band-aids kept comming off and the crooked leg seemed to get worst. I took it to the vet. She said having it on the wire was a good idea and to keep doing it and placing it's leg in front of it. (I had been doing that too) By it grabbing the wire, it was working it's nerves, even tho bones hardened. She splinted it's leg correctly for me,,, it took 3 people.This is with the band-aids.. had I known I was doing good things.. I would have continured .. just didn't know if I had it's leg right or if in pain. The vet did not even suggest putting the chick "down".

Th

update: the chick seems healthy this morning and can hold up his head, but he can't get his legs under him. Do I brace them? Any ideas.

My power went out for 8 hours and I did the best I could to keep humidity and heat in With using my car Heater. I had 2 chicks that were in the middle of hatching and I had to help both of them because They shrink wrapped. One of them is absolutely perfect and the other 1 can't seem to get him up from his side. I tried to stand him up to see and he just fell over again but he is fighting so hard to get up. Both legs are moving what could cause this kind of inbalance and how can I fix it. The only way I can describe it is like a car that has an imbalance and it steers to the right.

Attachments

• 16412675105113078630575658703939.jpg
    16412675105113078630575658703939.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 14
Poor little thing!
I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.
Is your power back on? You can try placing him in a paper towel lined coffee or tea cup to help keep him upright and it may allow him to push with those legs to strengthen them.
Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench, Chick vitamins/electrolytes or similar? If so, then I would give him a couple of drops every 6 hours or so.
And of course, keep him warm.

Hopefully he will perk up and come right. Keep us posted.
I don't have any of those vitamins yet but will go 1st thing in the morning. I'm greatful for the ones that survived this this far just frustrating. Everything was going so well until this happened and of course it had to be on hatch day. Yes power is finally back on

:hugs I'm so sorry this happened! You are doing the best you can.
You can give a couple of drops of warmed sugar water. 1 tsp sugar to 1 cup water.
Sometimes even with power and everything going well, you can have a couple that fail.
I'm rooting for this little one.
Me to. He has so much fight and wants to live.

I would not do anything to him until you knew what was wrong. Is he eating? drinking?

What are you feeding him?

Do you have vitamins or something in the water in case he needs extra?

Do his feet/legs move if you try and hold him off the ground just a bit to see if he would take weight on them?

Back
Top Bottom