Baby Chick has swollen bald butt!???

I have the same issue with one chick, 5 weeks old. Its just pink, bald...but because its bald i think it makes it look swollen. No marks, no bloody or diarrhea. Should i be worried? She is in with my 2 buffs and 2 dominques and i believe she is one of my b/rock 4 total. She may be Dominique.she eats well, drinks well. Has all her down and feathers going good, just a bald butt. Would love to hear if we found an answer.
would love to hear an answer

I also am looking for an answer to this particular question. I have 50 Cornish meat chicks. Last year I raised 10 and they all did great. So we decided to raise more this year for family. But they are acting totally different. They are huddled in areas other than under the light, they step on and jump on each other. They have plenty of room but won’t use it. A few of them have this issue of giant butt. And it worries me. I’m giving them vitamins and lactobacillus in their water, their poop is quite soft and some runny. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also am looking for an answer to this particular question. I have 50 Cornish meat chicks. Last year I raised 10 and they all did great. So we decided to raise more this year for family. But they are acting totally different. They are huddled in areas other than under the light, they step on and jump on each other. They have plenty of room but won’t use it. A few of them have this issue of giant butt. And it worries me. I’m giving them vitamins and lactobacillus in their water, their poop is quite soft and some runny. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are they too hot? What is their age, and what is the brooder temperature? They could have symptoms of coccidiosis, which can be treated with Corid in their water for 5-7 days. You may want to start a new thread of your own to get more help, since this is an old thread. Look for the blue “start a new thread” box here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Are they too hot? What is their age, and what is the brooder temperature? They could have symptoms of coccidiosis, which can be treated with Corid in their water for 5-7 days. You may want to start a new thread of your own to get more help, since this is an old thread. Look for the blue “start a new thread” box here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/
I thought they were to hot as well. But they were huddling under the light and now they huddle in the corner. It’s just weird. I would think if they were hot they would spread out like the other chicks I have do, but they don’t. They want to step on each other and huddle up. I moved up the light, I’ve shut it off, they still do the same things. They smothered one today, I found it died underneath everyone. I just don’t get why they are not spreading out.

Where do I find Corid? Is it an antibiotic? Or what is it?

Thank you, I may try a new thread.

Last edited:
Corid is for coccidiosis and found at feed stores. It is not an antibiotic. It comes in liquid (cheaper) and powder. Can you check the temperature with a thermometer under the lamp in the hottest spot? How old are they?

upload_2019-4-14_19-51-57.jpeg

I just put mine on corid today, i have one little guy 1 week old bantam with the swollen pink bald but, been an issue for about a week, wash it 2x a day with peroxide and put hydrocortisone cream.......it poops ok, eats drinks , runs around, like nothing is wrong..sometimes will peck at it but doesnt cry or seem to be in pain, its in with 3 other little bantams, a baby buff orp and a 6 week old silkie...they are all best friends..is it ok to put them all on corid?

Got the same situation… I’m beginning to believe it’s just something that some chicks have because No One knows the answer!!!

These are new chicks with NO Dried poop, they have CLEAN pink bottoms with no fluff or feathers… A BALD BUTT…
Has Anyone seen this and Know what’s going on with all these chicks???
We all would appreciate some help… Are our chicks ok, should we separate them, the others are Not pecking her bottom…
I’m at a loss.. Someone HELP US and our chicks, Please…

Attachments

• 18BE3D5F-80E7-409D-8383-E4E8C607B339.jpeg
    18BE3D5F-80E7-409D-8383-E4E8C607B339.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 11B4563F-7B0B-460B-9D90-7DB301B6AB32.jpeg
    11B4563F-7B0B-460B-9D90-7DB301B6AB32.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thank you for your help. your time spent is much appreciated. I am not sure what you mean by hardware cloth but what i've done is lay newspaper down and taped it to the bottom of the box so it wouldnt move then i covered it with pine shavings from the feed store about 2 -2 1/2 inches deep. The reason for this method was so it would be easier for me to clean it. I moved the chick into its own box without newspaper so that the others wouldnt pick on it if they would. I will try the bath and see there is no poop on its butt its just pink and poochie.
Hardware cloth
Thank you for your help. your time spent is much appreciated. I am not sure what you mean by hardware cloth but what i've done is lay newspaper down and taped it to the bottom of the box so it wouldnt move then i covered it with pine shavings from the feed store about 2 -2 1/2 inches deep. The reason for this method was so it would be easier for me to clean it. I moved the chick into its own box without newspaper so that the others wouldnt pick on it if they would. I will try the bath and see there is no poop on its butt its just pink and poochie.
FYI: hardware cloth is a wire that has small square holes..
We always used it on rabbit pens… I’ve called it rabbit wire bc it’s used for rabbits like chicken wire was for chickens…
lol 😂

Attachments

• 7B61C75F-CF7E-4C5B-B733-38843BA58C7F.jpeg
    7B61C75F-CF7E-4C5B-B733-38843BA58C7F.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom