Baby chick that wont grow!

Ok, heres the pics. First is both together. Again, they are both the same age and WERE the same size when I first got them. Just the one will not grow for some reason. lol

Here they are together.
57903_imag0376.jpg

Now this is the one who is growing normal. Others are about his same size too.
57903_imag0378.jpg

And here is the little one.
57903_imag0379.jpg

Again, its eating fine, drinking water fine etc. I have had them about 5 to 6 weeks I guess by now.

WOW, they are very different!!
My little one is feathering same way as others, just small.
Looks like your small one is really looking like 2weeks old but not!

There's something called (I believe) runting syndrome; perhaps that's what this is. Oddly, there have been many more than usual reported this year for some reason.

I dont know that much about Runting syndrome but I would think the chick would still feather out and everything like normal. Just be smaller. This one hasnt changed since the day we got it.

What was the outcome of your chick that would not grow? I have one that is 7 weeks old and looks like a hatch-ling.

I have a 6-week old silkie chick that is experiencing this very same thing! He looks as if he was just hatched - hasn't feathered out or grown - but yet is eating and behaving normailly. I had it with 6 other bantams (including 1 buff silkie) that have far outgrown the one black silkie chick. I don't know what to do with it and my daughter (who hoped to show it at the fair) is heartbroken.

I have the exact same thing going on and mine is a black barred rock also. Mine are a 4 weeks and triple the size of her who is the same age. I have 15 baby hens 1 baby rooster and 4 guineas. I will watch for a while and she eats, drinks and hangs around the others. I'm happy to say none of them peck at her, they actually snuggle her although, they don't see her sometime and walk on her..It doesn't seem to bother her though, she just hops up and moves..I have a big soft spot for her in my heart..I'm baffled..

I have had that happen twice - and each time after a few weeks the little runt died. It ate, drank, ran around, wasn't intimidated by the larger chickens - then suddenly one day when I checked the brooder, the little one was dead. No blood or damage to indicate any injury. However, I've read of other people who had runts who ended up being just fine.

Good luck - I hope yours turns out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom