Baby chicks and Cats

Trudi Higgins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Dordogne, France
My chicks are about 7 weeks old and have virtually all their feathers, I want to let them out of the enclosure with their broody mums and the other three I have - I am worried about my cats, does anyone know if there is any danger? Maybe just an hour or two ? Any ideas or comments ?

My chicks are about 7 weeks old and have virtually all their feathers, I want to let them out of the enclosure with their broody mums and the other three I have - I am worried about my cats, does anyone know if there is any danger? Maybe just an hour or two ? Any ideas or comments ?
I am pretty new to this but my cats don't seem to be paying any attention to my chicks or the bigger ones I was worried as my cats have killed wild birds but they walked past the chickens numerous times today and didn't even hesitate or even look at them .

I am pretty new to this but my cats don't seem to be paying any attention to my chicks or the bigger ones I was worried as my cats have killed wild birds but they walked past the chickens numerous times today and didn't even hesitate or even look at them .

Ive never heard of a cat taking down a full grown chicken lol my chickens will chase my cats if they get to close lol

One of my cats has too much interest in the chicks bigger and little.. But I don't think he would kill them... on purpose.

My cats are some big monsters and I have seen them take down and kill a lg. crow but like I said they aren't paying any attention to the hens or the chicks. Now my mini dachshund she goes insane every time she sees the hens good thing she is always walked by one of us because her I wouldn't trust with the hens.

My maine coon cat will protect my chicks! ! He is very gentle with the chicks. ... watches over them. It is adorable.

I have two very big kitties, and they both hang out by the run during the day. Bagerrah- (baggy) my girl cat likes to cuddle with my RIR, (little fatty) one day she got too close to one of the others and got a swift peck to the paw. And Jasper- (my big fluffy boy) will watch me when I go in the run/coop but other than that he pretty much ignores them. I know that every cat / chicken relationship is different, but I am not worried about my cats and my feathery girls. I think my cats know that we don't eat family.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom