Baby Chicks getting eyes pecked by bully

Okay, I have this taken care of.
smile.png
I put the problem chick in a separate cage inside the brooder, but to where the other chicks could walk around the cage and see the problem chick. Every evening we would take the problem chick out of the cage and watch her interact with the other chicks, and when the first serious eye pecking would take place then she would go back to confinement. Sometimes she could make it only a minute and other times 15-20 minutes, but after about 1week or so, she joined the other chicks without any problems. I hope this helps somebody else out there, this is not a common problem but when you have a chick that does this to this extreme, you know it, and you will most likely be like me....searching for answers. I will post pics of this rare breed flock asap. Thanks again

Thank you for the info..I just love BYC..I knew somebody, somewhere had to have been through it before! Our chicks arrived yesterday morning, and from the moment it came out of the box one of our GLW chicks has been psycho. It's in solitary, peeping it's little heart out. It just would NOT quit targeting the other's eyes. This gives me hope that it can be rehabilitated :) I figured it was instinct, going for shiny objects, as it happened mostly under the light and not so much away from it. We've got lots of stuff in there for them to do/scratch/peck at, and there are 28 in a 5' round produce box pen..I think they have enough room. Problem Child (as my husband called her) is in a smaller box inside the main box..and she's determined to try to fly out and join her pals. She seems very vigorous..I don't want to "get rid" of her too hastily. I will try to find mirrors, marbles, etc and space the lights out a little more so that there is more even lighting.

I had a fresh EE that was eye pecking and literally latching on to the faces of the other chicks and shaking them . I got a screen and cornered off a small section of the brooder and put her in there with her own food and water. I did it this way so she could see the others and not be alone. We let her in with the others for short periods of time while supervisedand had to repeat this for a few days. Finally the day we let her back in permanently she pecked a little but i stayed watching and blocked all her attacks(I guess correcting her) she finally gave up). This all occured during 3-7days of age. She is 7 weeks now and very laid back.

Well..she's an EE not a GLW (it was very hard to tell), and she's certainly got tons of personality. She was alone in the little box a couple days and let out for supervised playtime. I corrected/re-directed her every time she went for the eyes (after a day or so she started in on the feet, too) and she seems to be MUCH better. She's still a tad crazy....we call her Bellatrix after the Harry Potter character. If she "straighten's up and flies right" we might nickname her Trixie :)

Okay, I have this taken care of./img/smilies/smile.png  I put the problem chick in a separate cage inside the brooder, but to where the other chicks could walk around the cage and see the problem chick.  Every evening we would take the problem chick out of the cage and watch her interact with the other chicks, and when the first serious eye pecking would take place then she would go back to confinement. Sometimes she could make it only a minute and other times 15-20 minutes, but after about 1week or so, she joined the other chicks without any problems.  I hope this helps somebody else out there, this is not a common problem but when you have a chick that does this to this extreme, you know it, and you will most likely be like me....searching for answers.    I will post pics of this rare breed flock asap.  Thanks again

Old post but just wanted to say thanks, this was helpful to read. My duckling is doing the same to another. I'm following your steps. :)

I have a similar problem but in reverse. I have a mystery chick whom I believe to be a Dominique, she is so mild-mannered she just won't take up for herself. Her name is Thirteen. My other 12 are Wyandottes and they are very active and fight each other all the time. They will fight over everything and nothing, although no one seems to get hurt. I've divided them into 3 groups by size and aggressivenesss, this seems to help.

The problem is that Thirteen gets bullied by the others and seems to be sad. (I know that seems weird, but true). She is very attached to me, though. She always comes to me, and when I let her run around the room, she will hop onto my lap to cuddle. The Wyandottes will also climb on me, but they peck at me and try to eat my hair, clothing, etc.

I had an incident this week in which Thirteen sustained an injury on her toe. The other chicks were pecking at it horribly, so I had to remove her and keep her in a little crate with me all day and night until it was healed. She is now in a brooder with my two smallest "runts" but even they walk all over her and chase her from the food and water. She has learned to cope by sneaking food and water while they are busy brawling with each other.

We are going to put them all into a larger brooder in the outdoor coop in a few weeks, and I'm worried that she will not be able to survive with the rest of them. Should I keep her in the house with me for a while longer? Will she ever be able to live with the rest of the flock? Any suggestions and advice will be welcome. Also, if anyone is familiar with Dominiques, can you tell if that is what she is. They are 3 weeks old now. Thanks.

Phew! Thanks for this post! We got a shipment of 100 baby chicks (all girls) of 8 breeds from McMurray yesterday. We had a great experience with then back in August, so tried it again.
Right out of the gate, this one Easter Egger started going after the yellow and buff colored chicks eyes!!! Over and over!!! She targets them all and is relentless! This is not my first shipment, and none in the other shipment of 45 chicks did this obsessively. We found a plastic basket of sorts, flipped it over,gave her her own food and water, and have her in solitary but in the brooder.
Is that my best line of defense? Will it stop?! I'll take her out a few times a day to try to get her re-socialized, but she is merciless to these other chicks!!!

Here's "solitary"
I hate to do it, but she's VICIOUS--latched on to their eyeballs, twists and PULLS! Over and over. Since this thread is older, please tell me these aggressive chicks have grown up and seen the light!

My "bad" chick grew out if it quickly, maybe a week. She is an EE also and is 3 years old now and calm and sweet as can be:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom