Baby Chicks getting eyes pecked by bully

So glad I didn't give up! It has been a little over a week and you would never know that this sweet thing was the devil incarnate at first. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out there..I was so close to getting rid of this sweetie pie!!!

What a beautiful little chick, dragonbird! It's the sweet looking ones you need to keep an eye on it seems. I'm currently building a "chick jail" for my littlest chick who thinks she can peck at her sisters' eyes. Maybe I'll have to name her Napoleon!

Thanks for the advice and reminder that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Good luck with yours! I've also just recently seen a blog post about someone making a cone of shame for a chick that was incessantly pecking...I found it a few weeks too late...something about using one of those little dixie cups and putting it around the little pecker...You could always give that one a try too! :) Mine are still getting along great-they are 3 weeks now. :)

My husband just got back from the farm supply store with our upgraded brooder supplies so that we could have a "chick jail" (I stayed back to referee the chicks just in case--he's such a good chick dad) and *of course* they are now seeming to get along.

So now I suppose we have it all set up, just in case. Luckily they seem to be enjoying having a little more and brighter space (last brooder was jumbo blue tote). And it'll be useful when we get six more chickie's in two weeks!

I'll update if littlest chick starts bullying. She's stopped pecking eyes and now just wants in on *everything* her sisters have. I'm doubtful she'll keep up on her improved behavior, but I'll try and keep my expectations high ;)

Im having a problem with my chicks at the moment. There is 34 in the brooder and they just started to peck each others eyes. 3 chicks eyes are completely shut others have one eye shut or blood around their eyes. I thought it was just them all doing it in a frenzy but I watched them and there is one chick who starts them all. So I took that one out but the others still peck the ones with bloody ones. Any suggestions?

I would separate any of them that are getting picked on due to injuries until they heal....A major pain, but probably a good idea...

@redguinea are you using a red brooder light? That would be a worthwhile purchase, as the red light helps the chicks to not notice the blood as much.

If it's pretty serious pecking where they are imparing vision, separating them is the best bet. If you can tell who the instigator is, perhaps take them with a few other strong ones to a separate area and try reintroducing and monitoring after a while.

Oh, and another thing to consider-- is there enough space in the brooder for 34 chicks and is the temperature where it needs to be? If it's too tight or too warm they can start to become more aggressive.

Im having a problem with my chicks at the moment. There is 34 in the brooder and they just started to peck each others eyes. 3 chicks eyes are completely shut others have one eye shut or blood around their eyes. I thought it was just them all doing it in a frenzy but I watched them and there is one chick who starts them all. So I took that one out but the others still peck the ones with bloody ones. Any suggestions?
How big is your brooder? (what are the dimensions?) What is the temp? Is there space where they can get away from the heat ?(down to about 70*) How old are the chicks? Pecking issues are often caused by too much heat (don't believe what "they" tell you. Chicks don't need as much heat as "they say". Pecking can also be caused by not enough space. Once started, it can develop into full blown cannibalism or long term feather picking. You might look into brooding with a heating pad. Though with a brood this big, you might need to separate them into 2 groups with 2 heating pads. The benefit of heating pad: Quicker feathering, normal day night cycles. The brooder will be what ever ambient temps are instead of being overheated by a heat lamp. This more closely mimics the "broody hen" experience, which results in chicks that are less likely to engage in pecking behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom