Baby Chicks Just Got Vaccinated

mukasorehari

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2023
Indonesia
Hello all, brand new chicken Mama here.
I just hatched 2 Rhode Island White chicks 6 days ago. On the first day, I vaccinated them with New Castle (ND) Hitchner B1, in the form of eye drops, everything went well.
On the fourth day, I vaccinated them again using ND La Sota (eye drops) and since then they developed mild respiratory reactions like sneezing, head shaking, and snicking.

Is it normal side effects? Or should I be concerned? Does anybody ever heard of this or have the same experience?

ND La Sota Vaccine

Hi @mukasorehari , I'm not the one with the anwer.
But on what day are they now? How many days since the second vaccination? This might help others to answer your question ☺️
Thank you for your response @Stipenvlerk :hugs today they are 10 days old. These symptoms developed early after second vaccination until now. But today they got a little bit better, less sneezing and no more head shaking. They are inside my bedroom since birth, far away from the coop and outdoor area, so I assume it just the side effect of ND La Sota vaccination.

The ND Hitchner B1 has more mild side effect than ND La Sota, hope this information helps anybody out there who wants to vaccinate their baby chicks!

I just started looking into hatching chick and never thought about vaccinating them I've always bought mine mail order all ready vaccinated. I following along with you.
Hi @ltcffl03 :) good luck with your hatch, it's so exciting!
I'm also new to this vaccination things. There are so many different vaccination program in my country, depends on their breed, layers or broilers. But all are specified for large poultry farm, so the vaccine doses that widely available are for 1000 chickens. Only limited type of vaccines are applicable for small backyard chicken owners.

I only own 8 chickens, I have to bought the smallest dose available which is for 50-100 chickens :hmm use up to 8 doses and throw away the rest...

Hi @ltcffl03 :) good luck with your hatch, it's so exciting!
I'm also new to this vaccination things. There are so many different vaccination program in my country, depends on their breed, layers or broilers. But all are specified for large poultry farm, so the vaccine doses that widely available are for 1000 chickens. Only limited type of vaccines are applicable for small backyard chicken owners.

I only own 8 chickens, I have to bought the smallest dose available which is for 50-100 chickens :hmm use up to 8 doses and throw away the rest...
Unfortunately, I won't be able to answer your questions, since I'm a fellow noob to vaccinating chicks.

I was wondering if you tried selling the other doses to fellow chick owners. Just an idea. There may not be a market, but I know that fish hobbyists frequently sell meds they don't need. It's more of keeping them out of a land fill than making money back, but it helps other hobbyists as well.

Back
Top Bottom