Baby Chicks Tomorrow!

Megs501

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2012
Flint Hills KS
My Coop
My Coop
I can't wait, my babies should be here tomorrow, or maybe Wednesday. They are coming from mypetchicken.com and are shipping out today- do you think they will arrive tomorrow?

I cannot wait and will post lots of cute pics! Any last tips or pointers before they arrive? I have abrooder (30 Gal tote), cedar bedding, chick starter, chick grit, food and waterers, a heat lamp, red 250 watt bulb, and wood limbs for them to roost on.. That's it, right? =) So excited!

I think you are not supposed to use cedar shavings in a brooder - only pine shavings. Double check (other people - please pipe in) - but I'm pretty sure pine only. Make sure you have paper towels to cover the bedding for the first 24 hours. Do you have a vitamin supplement (Quic Chic, I think it's called?) to add to water? I also add a little bit of sugar to their water the first week. I also use the gro-gel. Do you have a thermometer, too? I got my 27 chicks yesterday, from McMurray Hatchery - so exciting!! I'm sitting here at work - just itching to go home and check on them!!

Tracey- thank you so so much! I DID mean Pine, they are pine shavings. Whew- and I do have a thermometer.

I do not have the vitamins for the water.. can I grab those at a Petco you think? ANd what is the purpose of the sugar in their water? Just curious. And what is gro-gel? =)

Thanks again!

Well - the gro-gel and vitamins came from McMurray - I'm pretty sure Tractor Supply has the vitamins (powdered), but not sure about the gro-gel. It is this powder stuff that turns to bright green gel balls when you add water - it's like super-charged vitamins for them. I think you can actually get infant vitamin (human!) liquid for chicks, but I would think Petco would also have some sort of Avian liquid vitamins. Boy - that's kind of a wishy-washy answer. :) I run to Tractor Supply for everything. I've posted pictures of chicks eating gro-gel, and my homemade brooder.

O M G! Those are the cutest babies ever! Aaaah, I have baby chick fever. Def need my babies soon!

Thanks for the great answer. Our tractor supply is across town, and I didn't find the people there very helpful. Odd, I know. Everyone I talk to loves tractor supply. The petco is just closer. =)
Love the pics, so cute!

Well - I was just busting to share my "newborn" photos!! :) Forgot to say - sugar is for added calories. I just follow the McMurray new chick guide - I've had 4 shipments over the years from them, and it's always worked. Tractor Supply - well, they haven't been great on giving advice, but they do seem to always have what I need.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome Meg! Sounds like you are ready for your babies!
jumpy.gif
I think the sugar is just to give the babies an extra boost of energy after the stress of their shipping. If you use the vitamin and electrolyte stuff from TSC, I don't think you would need to add sugar too.

I dont use the vitamin & electrolytes. i know a lot of folks do. Some hatcheries will tell you to but others dont mention it. I always add a couples tablespoons of sugar per gallon of water for my new chicks. It does give them a little energy boost. Plus my grandpa always did this and they man was a chicken raising god! Good luck with your new babies. Mine took two days to get to me via USPS, but guess it might depend how far you are from the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom