baby formula

Chekc out Miss Prissy's signature for the link to her yogurt. But do heed this warning: don't try it. If you try the yogurt, you'll never buy yogurt at the grocery store again and it's possible that you won't give any to the chickens after a while.
lol.png

Weird question, but my toddler daughter opened my baby boys forumula and I didn't notice it was open in the pantry. I can't give it to the baby so I'm thinking the cat and dog might enjoy it.. along with the chickens?

Weird question, but my toddler daughter opened my baby boys forumula and I didn't notice it was open in the pantry. I can't give it to the baby so I'm thinking the cat and dog might enjoy it.. along with the chickens?

Sure, you can feed it to chickens, but be aware that too much dairy is difficult for them to digest. I would let them have just enough to enjoy a little "taste". Dogs and cats are another story. They should have no problem with it.

I was just gifted with a CARLOAD of unopened, expired cases of liquid formula. My wife will give some to her dogs, but I am thinking of trying some with the chickens. I just read this thread. Did any of the posters give formula to their birds? what was the result?

Chekc out Miss Prissy's signature for the link to her yogurt. But do heed this warning: don't try it. If you try the yogurt, you'll never buy yogurt at the grocery store again and it's possible that you won't give any to the chickens after a while.
lol.png

I was just gifted with a CARLOAD of unopened, expired cases of liquid formula. My wife will give some to her dogs, but I am thinking of trying some with the chickens. I just read this thread. Did any of the posters give formula to their birds? what was the result?
JP beat me to the punch! My thought would be to take that formula and turn it into yogurt, then, feed it in moderation to your animals. The bacteria break down the lactose in the yogurt, making it easier to digest. all things in moderation. If I was gifted such a free bonus of protein, I'd find a way to use it, and if I couldn't use it, I'd pass it along to someone who could. Perhaps a pig farmer.

JP beat me to the punch! My thought would be to take that formula and turn it into yogurt, then, feed it in moderation to your animals. The bacteria break down the lactose in the yogurt, making it easier to digest. all things in moderation. If I was gifted such a free bonus of protein, I'd find a way to use it, and if I couldn't use it, I'd pass it along to someone who could. Perhaps a pig farmer.
I'm pouring ~1/2 can over half a loaf of bread (bread was free too) each day in the laying hen pens and the duck pen.
Does not seem to be affecting them adversely. I'm keeping an eye on them.
Barn cats don't like it straight... I think that the high iron content makes it taste "tin-y" but they will eat it mixed with their food.
Wife is giving a small amount to her puppies that she is weaning.

So... I'm using it... but at this rate I'll have it for a year!

I'm pouring ~1/2 can over half a loaf of bread (bread was free too) each day in the laying hen pens and the duck pen.
Does not seem to be affecting them adversely. I'm keeping an eye on them.
Barn cats don't like it straight... I think that the high iron content makes it taste "tin-y" but they will eat it mixed with their food.
Wife is giving a small amount to her puppies that she is weaning.

So... I'm using it... but at this rate I'll have it for a year!
Just a FYI to everyone interested...
I'm feeding it over bread (as I indicated in my last post) and whole oats. They get it every other or every 3rd day. No adverse affects. Puppies still get some, as do the barn cats. Egg production is good... hens are 2-3 years old, and I am getting ~10 eggs a day from ~20 hens. (new pullets are growing up to replace the older ladies) Ducks are laying 8-10 eggs a day from 14 hens.

I was reading "Feed and Feeding, Abridged" by Morrison (printed Pre-1950) and it recommends using skim milk and buttermilk as poultry drinking source, but says that whole milk is too expensive to consider for any livestock food except orphaned animals (nothing about it being BAD for them, just too valuable). So... I guess milk products are not terrible for poultry. Yes, I recognize that it is dated information, but just because something is old-fashioned does not make it bad.

Back
Top Bottom