Baby raccoon

Pics

Rcasady

Chirping
Jan 17, 2022
We live in the country on 40 acres. I have a flock of chickens. We found 3 young raccoons no mother seen. My husband thinks we should kill them as they will grow up to be predators to our chickens. I think we should move them as they are young and adorable. What should be done? My chickens are my pets not just farm animals. I've spent my entire life in the city we've just recently moved into the country so the city girl in me is devastated by the idea of killing any animal let alone a young animal. Any input would make this a little easier.

They do grow up to do killing. They are also know to carry rabies. A friend had a pet racoon that died one day and he buried it. Another friend of his ask him if he thought that the pet had rabies. The dug it up and sent the head off for testing. Yup. Rabid. It's risky business.

Personally I would shoot them. Raccoons cease to be 'cute' after they have killed/ dismembered your chickens! Here in Michigan, we can relocate raccoons and other critters on our own property, or on private land within our same county with landowner permission ONLY.
And a raccoon caught in a live trap likely will never make that mistake again!
Mary

Before you do anything at all, check with local ordinances. Killing and relocating can both be illegal.

Where we live, fish and game will come out and take care of the problem at not cost to you - and you don't even have to know what they did.

But, if that isn't an option, I agree with most here. Trap and kill. For folks who say that is inhumane, unfortunately it is either the raccoons or your chickens. One party will die, end of story.

They do grow up to do killing. They are also know to carry rabies. A friend had a pet racoon that died one day and he buried it. Another friend of his ask him if he thought that the pet had rabies. The dug it up and sent the head off for testing. Yup. Rabid. It's risky business.
This is creepy

We live in the country on 40 acres. I have a flock of chickens. We found 3 young raccoons no mother seen. My husband thinks we should kill them as they will grow up to be predators to our chickens. I think we should move them as they are young and adorable. What should be done? My chickens are my pets not just farm animals. I've spent my entire life in the city we've just recently moved into the country so the city girl in me is devastated by the idea of killing any animal let alone a young animal. Any input would make this a little easier.
Build a suitable box to protect the young raccoons and provide them food and shelter. They'll grow up and be pets on your property!

Back
Top Bottom