Baby Splash....do I buy a blue nest or a pink nest?? HaHa

SillySilkies

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 17, 2007
New Jersey
Here's a pic of my baby Splash at 11 weeks old. What do you guys think? Boy or girl??

Splash8-27-07.jpg

And here's another pic of Splash with Papa Gandalph. I'll try and get more this weekend and post them. It was getting late and the light wasn't so good.

SplashandGandalph8-27-07.jpg

Does anyone else have an opinion on this one? Hen or rooster??

After watching Splash closely this past weekend, I am really thinking it's a girl. I don't see a prominent crown or waddles poking through yet. Gosh, I can't remember when my rooster's started being noticable.....does anyone remember at what age did their Silkie cockeral's comb/waddles start to really show?

If the comb is flatter and rounded and not bumpy and he/she does not have noticable wattles it it probably a girl. I have some silkies that at that age were starting to show a difference in the comb and wattles, but according to what I have read, you can't be positive until they lay. I don't know, I think you can tell on most before then. My oldest three I guessed right on. I had written down what I thought they were pretty early on going by comb and waddles and just attitude in general and the one I said was a roo is crowing and is head of the flock and the other two are girls, no crowing and definitely not going to even though they are not laying yet. I have a second set that has two boys and the combs and wattles are much bigger than the girls. And then the third set are starting to show differences. You can tell by the thickness of the bones too, the roos have bigger thicker leg bones and are just heavy feeling. Hope it helps. If you could get some better pics I am sure that you could get more guesses. He/she is a cutie though.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom