Backyard BlueBirds

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

I have a bluebird house in my backyard that has attracted tenets this year. I have kept track of the growth and development of the parent birds and the family that has been produced. i am an avid bird watcher and hobbyist and have enjoyed watching
nature up close and sharing in the adventure of this bluebird family. Here are some pics from my datalog. Enjoy!!

The House. "Home Sweet Home"

Two little BlueBird eggs. A third one was laid later.

Day old Hatchlings.

Male BlueBird looking for bugs and such to take back to the nest.

Daddy Bluebird has spotted a bug that looks good to take back to mama and the babies.
"Dinner is on the way dear."

Fledging Day!! I have three little baby bluebirds in my backyard. Don't worry my
backyard is fenced in so nothing can get to them to harm them.

Wings look good, now to master the art of lift and aerodynamics.

The three little fledglings huddled together for their first big night in the world. Mamma and daddy
bluebird are roosting on the fence post above them. So sweet to watch these little ones take
their leap into the world. It has been an awesome privledge to watch and record this process
in nature right in my own backyard.

My backyard homestead where the little bluebirds are getting their start in life.
A paradise for a bird who likes to eat bugs. They just might stay for a spell.
Not to mention it would be great for my gardens, bug patrol.

Another picture of our backyard homestead.

And of course a few pics of the girls. The other residents of our backyard homestead.

Thanks for viewing.

wow!! Its so cool that you were able to get pics of them at the major points in their life! I wonder if they will come and raise their young in your yard when they are old enough! your yard is beautiful by the way.

wow!! Its so cool that you were able to get pics of them at the major points in their life! I wonder if they will come and raise their young in your yard when they are old enough! your yard is beautiful by the way.

Thanks, I am glad that you liked the pics.

According to my research bluebirds are territoral and will come back to their nesting sight. The males do migrate but the
females stay throughout the winter. The females come back to the nest the males come later in the spring and they start
the process all over again. This is the first year that I have successfully attracted the bluebird and had them breed.

We will see what happens next year I will have a much better idea about their habits.

Great photos! I too, am an avid birder and have two nest boxes set up in the front yard (a bluebird and a wren box). Unfortunately this year, the bluebird box attracted nonnative House Sparrows, so I had to cover up the nest hole to deter them. As of today, I think the House Sparrows have moved on (hopefully).
There is also a pair of Eastern Phoebes nesting nearby too. Last year, they raised a successful brood of about 4 or 5 fledglings.
The bluebirds in my area stay around all year and seem to thrive pretty well.

Wow! What a yard! I bet you'll have blue birds for years to come. Wonderful photographs!

What a beautiful yard! Our bluebird house was taken this year by a family of purple martins. I guess that means we need more bird houses!

Thanks everyone! I am glad that you like the pics. This is the first year that I was able to successfully have bluebirds
breed in the bird boxes. It is wonderful to get to watch them grow up and wintess nature up so close.

Amazingly the parent bluebirds are not afraid of me. I wondered how well it would work being that we are often
in the backyard working. They are very tolerant of human activity around them. In a funny way it is almost
as if our family has bonded with the bluebird family in the backyard. Our backyard belongs to the birds
literally. The chickens have their corner of the yard and the bluebirds have their corner. The yard
is big enough so everyone has their own space. I am looking forward to next year as we watch
the cycle of life all over again.

Awesome! The pictures of the babies are very sweet. Lucky you, bluebirds don't live in our climate
hit.gif

Purple Martins or Bluebirds is a win - win situation. Get a Purple Martin house and more will come.

Beautiful yard pictures too.

I have heard about purple martins as well. I have not seen any here. Not too sure if they are around or just that I have not attracted them.
It took me a while just to get the bluebirds to come to our yard. I will do more research on the martins, thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom