Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
I have had four dark Brahmas, two roos and two hens. Glory, one roo, was like a puppy. If you were outside sitting, he was in your lap. I sold him to a woman as a pet a couple of years ago, only because I had way too many roos. Roo #2 was Solo - he was mentally and physically challenged and lived only about a year, but he was also very sweet.

Frick and Frack, my girls, also were always very sweet. We lost Frick to a preditor attack years ago, but Frack is our house chicken. She is housebroken and lays an egg in my living room almost every day. She used to lay in our bed upstairs until she fell down the stairs (like a bowling ball). We then made her a place in the living room, so she doesn't go upstairs any more. She comes in and goes oiutside whenever she wants, even went broody and hatched eggs in our kitchen. Frack is 6+ years old now and is by far the nicest and smartest chicken we've had so far.

So many people are crossing Brahmas with other breeds to come up with new colors that sometimes you will get a Brahma with clean legs and feet, a straight comb, wrong color legs, etc. I have a black Brahma hen that is producing clean legs every now and then, so I had to retire her from my breeding program.

I just found out (today on the "what breed or gender is this" thread) that one of my flock is a Buff Brahma - not sure if she is breed standard, but I think she purty.

She's just about 13 weeks old....slow grower. Her name is Sandy. :)

She is more standard than mine. She's pretty. Congrats
smile.png

Morning,

I am new to chickens and have a question regarding my brahmas. We have 4 brahmas and 3 silkie chicks. They are all 3 weeks old. I have 2 light brahmas and 2 dark. My light brahmas are HUGE compared to my darks. They are both at least 2 the size of them. Is the light brahma general bigger than the dark? Or are mine just fast growers? Also my lights are trying to fly. I know that silkies don't/can't really fly but can brahmas? When should I clip their wings if I don't want them flying?
Here's some pictures of my brahams, they were suppossedly sexed and should (hopefully) be all girls.
393122_10151404616023314_1962203932_n.jpg
179443_10151404603263314_36473169_n.jpg

Cute chicks!

Slow growing is a breed trait. However, lights have been "main streamed" by hatcheries and thus lay more and grow faster than the other varieties, many times. It is not always the case but you will find in most hatcheries lights are listed with brown egg layers and the other 2 are considered a rare breed.

As far as flying that is a baby thing. They will eventually be to big to get over even a 4 ft. fence or too lazy to try.

Thanks for the info. Glad they aren't really fliers. They are so funny watching them try right now. Our 2 lights seem to have almost taken over the roll of "mother hen" to the other chicks even though they are all the same age.

Cute chicks!

Slow growing is a breed trait. However, lights have been "main streamed" by hatcheries and thus lay more and grow faster than the other varieties, many times. It is not always the case but you will find in most hatcheries lights are listed with brown egg layers and the other 2 are considered a rare breed.

As far as flying that is a baby thing. They will eventually be to big to get over even a 4 ft. fence or too lazy to try.
I have some full grown darks that fly out of their 5 foot fence. It's rare but I know they can.

Green Meanie is a mom!!
celebrate.gif

Her sister, the Blue Devil, has been growling at me a lot so I thought she was getting broody too. This morning I found her in the nest box next to Meanie and when I moved her out there was a chick under her! Meanie tucked it in quick so I couldn't see if it was the only one....keeping my fingers crossed that the other two are soon to follow.

Back
Top Bottom