BACKYARD GOATS?

I have not asked the vet about CAE yet, but she does not have any arthritis type symptoms. She seems to walk fine and no joint swelling. She does lack energy and doesn't play with her sister much any more. She has not lost all her winter coat, so we have been brushing her some. She also is almost bald on her back and sides with scaly skin and extremely sparse hair growth. Right now it does not look like the hair is going to grow back in thick enough to help her this winter. I don't know what I'm going to do. She eats and drinks plenty, but poos a lot and it usually looks like dog poo. Last time I wormed her the first poo was runny and green. She periodically still has chocolate poo that is very runny but not every day. She seems happy though. We have one other goat, her sister. They are together all the time, that girl is absolutely fine.

If she makes it though the summer, what will we do with her this winter with no hair?
Thanks to anyone with some ideas!

I would have her tested for Johnes. I haven't read the whole thread for a long time. If I have posted this before, forgive me. The typical Johnes goat is anemic, has a rough hair coat, and steadily loses condition although the appetite remains good. The animal is usually infected as a kid but the symptoms may not manifest themselves for years. A goat with Johnes looks like it has a bad case of worms. Loose manure is another symptom. You can check for anemia by pulling down the lower eyelid and looking at the color. It should be a bright or dark pink. If it is a pale pink or white, the animal is anemic. Have you treated her for lice? Sometimes only one animal in the herd will be infested with lice. You might also spray her with BluKote. I once had a buck that was almost bald. I sprayed him and very shortly thereafter his hair grew in. He looked pretty funny there for a while. One doesn't often see a purple buck. BTW, if the goat does have Johnes, put her down at once. There is no cure. Johnes is spread in the manure and an infected animal is a menace to the rest of the herd.

Thanks, she was tested for Johnies but that was negative. What does the blukote do? Our poor little girl has had multiple stool samples, all non remarkable, and has seen the vet at least 3 times. He has discussed her with the other vets in the clinic, no one has any idea what this could be. We are so sad.

BluKote is a fungicide, among other things. A fungus infection on the skin can cause hair loss. Blu Kote can't hurt. If you spray her, the worst that can happen is that nothing happens. If a fungus is the problem, hair will grow in quickly. What Johnes test was used? Blood? Fecal? Some tests are better than others, and false negatives are not at all uncommon.

Thank you. As I recall, I think it was a blood test. Can I get this BluKote at a farm supply store?

Yup. Comes in a spray can. If you are not careful when you use it, the goat won't be the only thing that is blue, or purple. Wear old clothes. It's good stuff for a variety of things. Put it on ringworm, cuts, skin lesions, etc.

Some one on this link gave me the name of a vet in Davis California who specializes in goats. This was in July I think, and I am not able to find this information again. My vet here in Eau Claire Wi has been trying to contact this vet with no success. I am hoping whoever gave me this information may have a direct contact with her and can help us get through to her. I have 2 fainting goats, 2 years old. One of them got sick (diarrhea, weight loss) during the coldest part of our winter. She is coming around, but not quick enough. She still poops so much (it looks like dog poo, not goat berries), does not seem to be gaining weight back. She is very skinny, had a difficult time shedding her winter coat, then had bald patches. Her hair has come in now, but is thin and find. I am worried that she will not get a thick enough coat or put on enough weight to survive the winter. Our vet has seen her many times. He has tested for many things , we have done everything right that she needs. He is trying to contact the vet mentioned above at my request because she was recommended by someone here. Thanks so much for whoever can help me!

I PMed you earlier but I just now got off the phone to my friend in CA. She is going to call me tonight and give me direct contact info for the vet at Davis I told you about. I will PM you with that information as soon as I get it.

The goats I will most likely be getting (because they are raised near by by a church friend) are a cross between Nubian and Boer. Do any of you have experience with a similar cross? What could I expect milk wise?

I wish people would stop creating their own hybrids... But that would mean people would have to stop buying them...

I wish people would stop creating their own hybrids... But that would mean people would have to stop buying them...

Why are crossbreds a problem in terminal food animals? There are LOTS of people - breeders - producers that cross Boers out with other breeds. Never been an issue in the sale barn.

In fact, my daughter just bought a dappled percentage Boer doe this fall, who is pregnant by another dappled percentage Boer. The other pregnant doe she purchased is a full Boer, who is also pregnant by the same dappled stud. The dapples are a result of crossing a Nubian with a Boer...

Back
Top Bottom