BACKYARD GOATS?

Thanks very much for the info. I am familiar with bloat, but what is entero and what are the signs I should be looking for?
Enterotoxemia is caused by an overgrowth of clostridium perfingens in the intestine. Other names for it are overeating disease and pulpy kidney. It usually occurs after the goat has eaten a bit too much grain or other rich feed, but sometimes you can't find a reason for it. It is a killer and the goat can be dead in less than two hours after the onset of symptoms. Vaccinating with CD/T greatly reduces the chances your goat will get entero, but it doesn't totally eliminate it. A goat with entero will often kick at the belly, get up and lie down. The belly often feels tense. They may push their head against the wall. As symptoms worsen, they will start screaming and die soon after. Treatment is a dose of clostridium perfingens antitoxin. Penicillin is helpful because the clostridia are susceptible to it. Two things I kept in my goat medicine chest at all times were GasX for bloat and clostridium perfingens antitoxin for entero. If I never had to use either I considered it cheap insurance. Bloat and entero strike at anytime without warning. They are true emergencies, meaning without prompt treatment the animal will most likely die.

Proud new owner of a week old fainting doeling. She was not able to feed well as she was weaker and couldn't stand up to her twin brother. So, we are now bottle feeding her. She has a perfect 7 on her forehead so we have named her Lucky. When she got here I wasn't sure she would make it. But since I have warmed her up I have gotten 3 bottles into her and she is starting to get some spunk. She isn't walking great for some reason but I am hoping that she is just weak. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I went through the same thing. She was very weak in the right when she was born and mama passed so she had to be bottle-fed. When she was just about One month old she was limping and couldn't figure out what was wrong even the vet couldn't and after about three or four weeks her leg was perfect again. But being bottle-fed she is probably one of the sweetest goats I've ever had and Will ditch the herd to come be with me in a heartbeat. Once she started bottlefeeding it did take a while for her to get her health back. If she's limping I would try to limit her mobility some so she doesn't make it worse. I wish you the best of luck. It's hard but worth it because she'll show you her appreciation

Unfortunately Lucky (because of the 7) did not make it through her first night. She was just too weak. We have since gotten 2 fainting doelings and a whethered dwarf Nigerian. They are just so much fun to watch. The one doeling we did bottle feed and I agree that she is the sweetest thing and always interested in snuggles.

the colostrum from moms milk the first 24 hours is vital. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking. Have to agree LOVE having my goats. Couldn't imagine being without them!

Hello backyard goat keepers. I have 1/3 acre and my city allows me to keep 2 goats. I was seriously considering a pair of dwarfs but then I came across a YouTube video "goats screaming like people" during my research. Do they really make a lot of noise all the time? I do have neighbors, I don't think they'd mind the occasional call but constant noise probably wouldn't go over well. Thanks!

It really depends on the breed. And I'm sure their personality too. I have boer goats and Nubian goats. The boar goats are pretty quiet but Nubians are known for being talkative and they are I'm sorry I don't know much about pygmy goats. Boer goats would not be a good choice for 1/3 acre they're pretty big

Back
Top Bottom