Bad bad broody mama

txchickie

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Texas
I am SO mad right now. I had a little self blue OEGB hen sitting on 9 of her eggs, she "belongs" to my little black tailed buff dutch rooster. I was SO excited for their babies and to see what that cross looked like, especially because the little rooster is such a sweetie!

She only hatched 2 of the eggs....fine. I get that we can't have 100% hatch rates all the time, even with a broody. She had her nest in a large igloo dog house (my bantams free range) takes the 2 chicks out for the first time yesterday. I had food & water in the doghouse, but didn't have them blocked in there.
I watched her all day, I never saw her warming them, never saw her showing them food/water, etc...and these little chicks are TINY! She kept wandering off and leaving them in the middle of the yard with guineas and other bantams wandering around, I walked out at one point and she was no where to be found and the 2 chicks were huddled together in the grass
sad.png
I was MAD by that time. It was obvious she was a terrible mother.

So I took both chicks and they're both in my laundry room in a brooder. She has no clue her chicks are even gone
rant.gif
She even flew back up to roost in the tree last night. I am so mad a that little brat. Is it bad that I just want rid of her?? I've had so many bantam broodies around here and they've all been such good mamas, to me she is worthless!
barnie.gif

If this was her first time, you may want to cut her some slack and give her another go. If this is her norm, unless you always want to brood her chicks I would let her go.

If you like her otherwise I'd give her one more chance. My first broody is due to hatch tomorrow so I don't have any practical experience with chicken mammas, but it's very common with rabbits to have a doe be a rotten mom the first time and then do great from her second litter on. The nice thing with bunnies is that I can make sure to have two or more due at the same time so there's a foster mom available and I don't have to deal with it when a first timer doesn't take care of her kits.

Quote:
This is what I am thinking. If one of these 2 chicks I have of hers turns out to be a hen, is it going to be a crappy mother, too?

My daughter and I love watching broodies with their chicks, and I've never had one of my oegb hens be a crappy mom. I am thinking she needs to go. I don't want to let her hatch out MORE chicks only to be a crappy mom the second time and have possibly bred that trait into more babies.

Birds do learn, It has been proven through study of nest building. They get better at it as they build more nests and it actually takes some of them several tries to get really good at it. Good on you for paying attention and seeing they where not being taken care of though. a lot of people woudl have gotten their first clue when they found the chicks dead.

Back
Top Bottom