Bad eggs Pic added

They are/were her eggs. She does have a rooster, and the temps here in S. Texas have been above 95. So if I'm understanding everyone, collect the eggs first thing in the morning, don't collect from a broody hen (I have rooster) and DON'T freeze the eggs. Another question, is there any other way to tell if an egg is good?

I didn't freeze them but who knows what happened before she brought them over!

Last edited:
If it's hot hot out, you'll probably want to collect once in the morning, and once in the evening, or just the evening because the birds will lay eggs throughout the day. One day of hot weather won't change much in the egg, what you don't want is two days or more over 95F because that is about the threshold of development.

Generally, if you collect often, and keep cool, they will be fine. You may run into meat spots/blood spots but that is normal, especially in younger hens who are just starting to get the system down. If you think you may have a spoiled egg, put it in a cup of water, if it floats, best to toss it out as it is really old or spoiled.

I honestly have never seen anything like that. I've seen eggs that were frozen, and have even cracked eggs that have started to develop, and none of them have looked remotely like that. Did the person who gave them to you say how old they were? I'm thinking an egg sitting at room temperature would be several weeks old, and never refridgerated, to end up like that. WOW!!!

Last edited:
I am not trying to make anyone mad so please don't take me the wrong way but in the winter, all my eggs freeze to ice basically and I eat them just fine. Never had that before.

what I think the other person was saying is they were frozen defrosted and then sat for awhile, most likely the person who gave the eggs had a large surplus of eggs in the fridge so many that the cold in the fridge didn't circulate right which would cause some to freeze and others not to, then decided to give them away and once she started passing them out the eggs from the back that were frozen defrosted which caused it to go bad and then the mold grew.

Now, that is something I hope to never see in reality! And, you probably won't see it from your own chickens either. Very unusual. And I definitely agree that it might be important to let your neighbor know.

Back
Top Bottom