Bad Experience with Bresse Farms in Pontotoc, MS

So now my “SFH” Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are happy, healthy and live at a loving organic farm at 5 weeks of age. They have blended well with my five Ayam Cemani that are the same age. I emailed Justin with a current photo of my happy 4 week old Swedish Flower Hens and told him I wanted the seven that I ordered……..no reply for over a week now. Either way, I will never purchase from them nor suggest to anyone To purchase from them. Poor business manners.
Oh wow!! 😡 Well let me tell you...you're not missing out on his SFHs. I kept three for the heck of it. They are such pathetic looking little birds. Out of the six I received, two passed away. All were crested. I'll include some photos of them from yesterday. I planned on keeping the two BLRWs just for fun, but both turned out to be males. I also decided to keep the Bresse to put in the freezer, but he was aggressive! So I got rid of everything except for these three chicks. Very disappointing. I'm going to grow them out and see what they look like in a few months.

Attachments

• IMG_8584.JPG
    IMG_8584.JPG
    535.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8586.JPG
    IMG_8586.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 93
Guess who just called me? Justin. He said that he was contacted by NPIP with my unsatisfactory shipment of eggs. I explained to him that it wasn’t just the eggs, it was that he would not provide me with replacement eggs that were damaged and scrambled through shipment, and that he told me all I could have was a three free check credit towards any purchase of any other chicks. I told him that I ordered four Swedish Flower Hens and put in the notation, as he had told me, my three chick credit for three more Swedish Flower Hens. His response was very calm and he stated that he could only find my order for the eggs so it would take him a little while to find the order for the chicks. I told him to call me back if he could not find him and I would provide him with the invoice number. The final question he asked??? Did you want another set of eggs or checks or a refund? What? Really? I calmly replied that I expected a full refund of both orders since the seven Swedish Flower Hens chicks that were shipped to me, which one died, ended up being Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. If anybody needs to email a complaint about this farm, start with NPIP of their state. I will keep you posted on the amount of refund I receive.
Integrity
Integrity
Integrity!

I had a terrible experience with Bresse Farms (bressefarms.com) in Pototoc, MS. I ordered 20 Swedish Flower Hen chicks @ $9.99 each on 2/9/21 totaling $259.80 (including $60 for shipping.) I contacted them about a shipping date and Justin (owner) said they were shooting for shipment on 3/8/21. All good! The chicks actually ended up shipping two months later on 4/6/21. So shipping got delayed by a month. That's okay, I know things happen. They were received on 4/8/21. There were 21 chicks - 1 deceased on arrival, 20 others active and healthy. Shipping box was great. Two heat packs and four cups filled with growgel. I thought everything was great until I started inspecting these chicks more carefully. I soon found out my order was completely wrong. Here's what I received:

11 Rhode Island Reds
6 Swedish Flower Hens (2 with vaulted skulls)
2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
1 Blue Bresse
1 Mystery Chick (Deceased, did not examine)

Once I realized I had a bunch of Rhode Island Reds in the order, I contacted Justin (owner). I sent him high quality photos of the chicks and asked politely if there was a mistake because these look like Rhode Island Reds. Keep in mind this farm also raises Bresse (black, blue, white), Rhode Island Reds, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. He reassured me there was no mistake and that I had 20 Swedish Flower Hens. However, contradicting himself he did say there should be 4-5 RIRs there for additional warmth. Well, I only received one extra chick. He said to let them develop and if they made a mistake they would make it right. I left it at that for the time being, but started speaking with Swedish Flower Hen breeders. All of them said these were definitely not Swedish Flower Hens. I then examined the chicks further and found two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes in the group. Their flat combs made it obvious. Lastly, I realized a blue chick was growing larger than the others and had blue legs and beak. Swedish Flowers legs/beaks should be yellow or white. It is definitely a blue Bresse. There were also two chicks with vaulted skulls. I believe these are Swedish Flower Hens. However, this is a trait culled for, but normally you would not get these in the first place as it comes from breeding crested to crested. Only non-crested should be bred to crested so you do not have this problem. The remaining four chicks appear to be Swedish Flower Hens.

After learning all this, I contacted Justin for the second time and called him out on it. He finally admitted that they were Rhode Island Reds. He claimed my order got messed up from a computer system error and that I instead received 9 RIRs and 11 SFHs. Well that was not correct either. He forgot to explain why there are 11 RIRs, 2 BLRWs, and 1 BB chick as well. When I sent him photos clearly showing BLRWs, he admitted that they definitely were BLRWs. He did not comment on the blue Bresse chick. Not only did he reassure me the first time I asked (and sent photos) that there was no mistake, but the packing label on my box also says 21 Swedish Flower Hens. I do not believe this was an accident. I believe he did not have 20 Swedish Flower Hens to fulfill my order, so instead sent what he had on hand. My order had been delayed one month and he also told me in March that they had poor hatch rates at that time due to weather. I have since be made aware that I'm not the only one who has had this same issue from other customers of Bresse Farms.

Bresse Farms has refunded me $120 of the $259.80 I paid them, as of now. Only 6 are the breed I ordered and 2 of those have vaulted skulls (culls). So I should get back at least $140 for the 14 I did not receive. Justin said he would send the remaining $20, but as of now has not. To say I'm disappointed in my experience with Bresse Farms is an understatement. I'm now left to care for and find homes for almost my entire order, along with being out $140!
Ditto

Read my negative reviews on Yelp and google. They couldn’t even get a simple order right. I ordered 2 female creme legbars but sent me one male and one female. Instead of taking responsibility and apologizing for his mistakes he lied to me twice that both were females. How can you screw up the sex of an autosexing breed? Read my reviews and see why I’m so angry!

Read my negative reviews on Yelp and google. They couldn’t even get a simple order right. I ordered 2 female creme legbars but sent me one male and one female. Instead of taking responsibility and apologizing for his mistakes he lied to me twice that both were females. How can you screw up the sex of an autosexing breed? Read my reviews and see why I’m so angry!
How can he mess this up. He told me both were female Cream legbars. Doesn’t the one on the left look like a rooster to you? I’m pissed! Cant he be charged with fraud since he purposefully messes up orders AND doesn’t refund you properly on PayPal where a service fee is charged. Who has the power to shut his shady business down? We should talk to that person

It’s also inappropriate he threatened not to give a refund if I post a bad review. Well he earned his bad rap and it’s his fault for sending the wrong chick. He says I got a free cockerel chick …. Yeah not really free with the service fee and having to pay S&H for the WRONG ORDER which I didn’t want in the first place! So money lost for me I should get full refund including S&H.

Attachments

• 25821264-F808-4A2A-93B4-9C70096C135A.jpeg
    25821264-F808-4A2A-93B4-9C70096C135A.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 73
  • C3E1D3C6-B2F5-4492-AF2C-369F431157A6.jpeg
    C3E1D3C6-B2F5-4492-AF2C-369F431157A6.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 35B86CDB-89E5-4397-8904-7A84ADCE9DDA.jpeg
    35B86CDB-89E5-4397-8904-7A84ADCE9DDA.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I ordered a dozen White Bresse hatching eggs from the Bresse Farms in Mississippi. I received 13. One egg was badly cracked on arrival. Upon inspecting the egg shell it was extremely brittle and the egg was watery. All of the eggs were covered in poop. All of the eggs were very elongated. Two more cracked in my egg turner just because they were so elongated that they didn’t fit properly. After inspecting those two again very brittle shell and the insides were 100% scrambled and watery. Due to the brittle shells I was hesitant to candle the eggs or handle them too much. I even changed incubators due to the egg turner issue. One more cracked slightly just gently moving it to the new incubator but I tried to save it with some candle wax. I emailed Justin several times. He ignored my concerns about dirty misshaped brittle eggs. He said let me know your hatch rate and we will make it right. So of course zero hatched. Waited until day 25. My son and I inspected the eggs. All were very brittle. All were very watery and scrambled and no development whatsoever. I called Justin and he said if I wanted to order live chicks he would give me five for free. This would have equaled roughly half of my $70 investment. Keep in mind with shipping I wasted $70 on eggs plus had to run out and spend another $150 on a different style incubator to try to save the hatch. I agreed to the five free chicks and placed an order for 15 chicks. It was after this that I read a ton of bad reviews including on Good Egg Bad Egg a lady that ordered pullets from him that were so infested with lice that she had to cull them. Out of fear of bringing parasites and disease onto my property I just emailed Justin and canceled my second order. I did get an $80 refund on my second order since it had not shipped yet but I don’t even know at this point if I want to try to get a refund on my original egg order of $70. I think I may just chalk it up to learning a valuable lesson and move on with my life. I don’t like to argue and it seems he does not like refunding people. Meanwhile I plan on ordering hatching eggs from the other Bresse Farm in Florida that has really good reviews. I know shipping eggs are a gamble because USPS is not gentle in handling packages but the lice thing freaked me out. I think eggs are safer from a biosecurity standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom