Badly bruised, swollen foot. Is it bumblefoot or was he stepped on?

elieugene6

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Western ny
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
-Buff orpington cockeral, 14wks, 2.5lbs?
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
-Was limping when I let them out to free range. So I put the ducks in their outdoor pen and picked him up. His foot is very bruised by the joint where leg meets foot. It goes up the leg about an inch and onto the foot an inch. It is also swollen and warm to the touch. I did some washing but haven't gotten his foot a hundred percent clean yet. I don't see a scab but there could be one.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
-Just noticed this morning
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
-no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
-yes bruised as describe in #2
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
-I have appoximately 20 chickens around the same age that tend to crowd my feet, 1/2 are meaties so you get the idea. Last night I went to feed at bedtime and I stepped on someone, kinda hard to tell who with all the comotion and it wasn't the first time someone got stepped on. I also walked the goats back through the henhouse last night so there is a possibility that a goat could have stepped on him as well. It is quite load out there lately and very hard to tell who is squaking and why as I have a few to many roos as well.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
-Has been inside in the laundry basket all day and has eaten a whole scoop of food and drank a 6oz coffee cup of water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
-Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
-I started to wash the foot with dawn and then soaked a bit with saltwater, I don't have epsom salt
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
-I need to treat completely myself. Please keep in mind he was going to be sold or going to freezer camp anyway so I won't be spending an arm and a leg on him. If I can't fix him he will go early I just don't want him to suffer and would prefer that he last a bit longer.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
- I will try to get one
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
-They live in a old henhouse with a cement floor. The floor is covered with straw and wood shavings. This particular cockeral doesn't roost yet. During the day they all free range on 37 acres, albeit they tend to stay close to the house and barn.

I have some supplies on hand vet wrap, syringes, sterile scalpels, blu-kote, etc. I made a nice purchase from jeffers awhile back when I got my taxes back. I do not have any injectable penicillan yet. Money constraint issues. I don't have betadine but do have some band aid first aid wash and iodine if I can use any of that. I have no vehicle until late tonight, around 12am.

It appears to me he might of been stepped on. I really have not experienced this before but looking at your supply list I think I would go for using your vet wrap like you would an ace bandage then monitor. I wish you the best and hoping someone else will give you more advise.

Back
Top Bottom