Bag 'em, then rest?

MJWarner

Chirping
Feb 16, 2022
Silver Springs FL
We are getting set to process our first time, 3 roos that were hatched and raised by broodys this past year. Feeling confident about everything in the process, bar one item.
After the gutting and such, our plan is to chill them in ice and a bit of water, cavities packed in ice, for about an hour, while we clean up pretty much everything else, and give time for the water to come up in temperature from 145 ish degrees, to 180°.
Then I would like to drain them, bag them, shrink them, and seal, before placing them in the refrigerator for a 24 hour rest.
The next day after that they will transfer to the freezer.
My question is, will they relax and rest if I bag them before they have sat and cooled without a bag? Logically, I can't see any difference between cooling/resting open in a tote in the fridge, and doing the same with them cuddled in their poultry bag.
I am however, willing to be schooled if that would be in error.

With ours I just put them in a bag as soon as I am done processing, and then they go straight into the fridge for around 4 days.
It seems to work very well.
Sorry, I'm not sure if this is helpful or not.

I can't see any difference between cooling/resting open in a tote in the fridge, and doing the same with them cuddled in their poultry bag.
There is not. The only thing I'd question is whether that is enough time to age them for rigor mortis to pass. For some it would be, for some maybe not. How long it takes depends on sex, age, and temperatures, maybe something else I'm not thinking of.

@Molpet wouldn't rinsing them off take care of any problems? I don't use shrink wrap bags, I double wrap mine in freezer paper and rinse them off after they thaw.

There is not. The only thing I'd question is whether that is enough time to age them for rigor mortis to pass. For some it would be, for some maybe not. How long it takes depends on sex, age, and temperatures, maybe something else I'm not thinking of.

@Molpet wouldn't rinsing them off take care of any problems? I don't use shrink wrap bags, I double wrap mine in freezer paper and rinse them off after they thaw.
I threw them in cold water until cold. Let them drain a bit. Then put them in bags. Next day liquid in bags. Not a biggie. But my cousin said it was blood ....and she doesn't eat blood for religious reasons.

I had a bunch of bloody liquid in the bags, but that's just a personal preference. May not bother you.
I'm planning on setting them up to drain in a "beercan" chicken orientation, until no liquid is drip/draining from them before I bag, hopefully this will help. If I still end up with a puddle inside, I can chalk it up as a learning experience, cut off the bags, dry the birds, and redo the bag and seal process. Thanks for the heads-up!

I think you're fine either way. I have only processed chickens once and what I did was let them cool directly in ice water for a few hours, and then bagged them and put them in the fridge (I drained and dried them the best I could before bagging). The next day I was reading the book Processing Chickens by Adam Danforth and he suggested open-air ageing because it can help the skin be crispier when you cook it. I really had no way of setting them in the fridge without bags, so I just went in and opened all the bags so they got a little air. I let them finish ageing with the bags open.

Like someone else said, with bagging them right away you do get more of the bloody liquid at the bottom of the bag, but that's a preference. I ended up re-bagging mine once they were done ageing but I think they would have been just fine if I didn't. In the future I would love to have some sort of rack to open-air age the chickens on in my fridge, but for now, what I did last time worked just fine.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will ice the birds, then stick them on my pvc drying contraption (copied from a design via utube "living traditions homestead" channel... I am not smart enough to have come up with that on my own.) Then dab with clean towel to dry after dripping stops, and bag & seal 'em. They can hang out in the fridge for a day or so after.

Back
Top Bottom