Bald butt and swollen below vent.

Was about to quit searching but then I found this thread. I just noticed my 18 month old barred rock with a condition like you all are describing. She started limping the day before yesterday but that seemed to improve itself. Then I noticed she was spending more time resting than usual and when she walked her hind end looked lower and seemed to "pulsate" as she would stand still. I picked her up this evening and felt the area under her vent and it feels like a small orange sized water balloon. I couldn't feel anything that felt like a shell or and egg but I didn't want to squeeze too hard and do damage. She doesn't have a bald spot yet and she comes for treats and follows the flock around - though lagging a bit behind the rest.

Tomorrow I will try the warm soak in ES and olive oil lubrication to see if anything changes. I can't believe so many of us are experiencing this with no solid answers. I hope we can get more information.

So I'm new and have been following this thread. I don't want to upset anyone by mentioning this but would anyone having a chicken with this condition be willing to cull and do an autopsy and report the findings? I would understand if not, obviously! I just also would like to know what this mystery illness is in case one of my girls gets this condition.

Wow sorry to hear of the problems every one is having...this problem just popped up on another thread with younger chickens...and then i found this thread.

the egg yolk peritonitis seems to be the best guess so far guys and the prognosis sucks.

I agree with the earlier post its time for some real answers to try and figure the best solutions.

Sad to say asphyxiation by internal pressure, abdominal rupture, and sepsis are terrible fates.

Start considering some dissected internal investigations.

Future chickens are looking toward the answers.

Again, I feel for Ya

my Australorpe hen passed away on the weekend... the skin on the growth split open, and her internal organs were exposed. I isolated as the other hens were picking at her.... she ate and drank until her death. In fact she died eating, she was found with her face in her food dish. She layed an egg the day she died. sad, but she was active, social and happy her whole life. her death was quick

Thegirlsclub, that doesn't seem to be the same problem. I'm really not sure what that is, sorry. :(

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. My very favorite Red Star hen is doing the "penguin stance" and, though fully feathered around her bum, does have a large and slightly squishy bulge between her legs and vent.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the problem most of us seem to be having is Peritonitis. (Of course, I could be wrong.) I've been doing some research, and I found two very informational sites about the condition and why it happens.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PennysSurgery/PennysSurgery.html

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

It doesn't seem like something they are very likely to recover from. Penny was very fortunate. Since it seems most cases end in discomfort and death, I think I will do the kind thing and put Bernard out of her misery. Even if the mass can be removed, the problem is usually caused by a problem with the oviduct and will most likely recur.

Sometimes there isn't much we can do, but it doesn't make their lives worth any less. We loved them while they were healthy, and we'll love them even when they're gone.

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. I have an EE hen whose butt area fills up with fluid. At first I thought it was an infection and was just very swollen and inflamed. It also looked like she was losing feathers, but the skin was pulled so taunt that it spaced the feathers out more, giving it a more bald appearance. It feels like a very full water balloon. She also acted totally normal except for walking funny. After doing research I found out about the fluid and thought it wouldn't hurt to try and drain her. We bought a wide gauged syringe and started draining this yellowish, clear liquid. There was so much pressure built up that she continued to drain for a few hours after. There was probably about 3 cups of fluid in her. I've had to drain her 3 times since then. I never use antibiotics, just squirt the area with a little which hazel before draining and throw her outside after it dries. She's always been just fine.

I hope you find a solution!

This is an old thread so not sure if anyone is following it any longer. I have a bird with the same problem with swelling. She has been this way for over 2 years now. I took her to the vet to try to have the bulge drained, but he was unable to. He then sliced her open and saw intestines, in there and came to the conclusion she has a large hole in her belly cavity ( a hernia). the egg passes through this hernia as well so down the road it could become a problem, but for now she seems just fine. He also said that hernias are hereditary. I would not recommend assuming they are fluid filled bulges, automatically trying to drain these things. If you are wrong you could puncture the intestines and have fecal material loose in your hen, leading to a messy infection and a dead hen shorty afterwards. Hope this is helpful.

Well, we had this Big Bulge Butt all of a sudden on one of our chickens. Two experienced breeders did not know what it was either. I took her to the Vet, and they diagnosed right away, this is a HERNIA. That bulge means a tear in her abdomen and entrails are in that bulge. It is related to the chicken's reproductive cycle (egg laying) and so it does not 'go away;' whatever caused the malfunction will likely happen again. It cannot be taped up or put in a sling. A hernia needs a mesh or sewing repair, just like a human's hernia. In the case of chickens, since it would happen again, the chicken would need a hysterectomy, her girly parts removed. This operation runs into Thousands of dollars. The hernia condition is indeed terminal, as a few people have said in these posts. There will come a time when our girl's bulge will finally burst, causing sudden death. Her everyday-condition is totally normal, no changes in behavior or eating or laying. She used to lay Humonous eggs, ergo the straining and hernia. My job is to keep an eye on her and if she is in pain, send her to chicken heaven.
My vet said the exact same thing. He even opened her up just to make sure. He does not see too many chickens. She is fine for now, but one day this will kill her.

Back
Top Bottom