Bald butt and swollen below vent.

For all of you wanting updates on this type of problem: As stated by others previously, there are several problems that can cause fluid to accumulate in the abdomen (ascites). While none of the diagnoses are particularly favorable, some are more treatable than others. I have a Rhode Island Red of unknown age (but at least 3 or 4 years) that stopped laying a year ago and started accumulating fluid in the abdomen (with the accompanying waddling, lack of energy, and mouth breathing at times). I drained the fluid from her abdomen (I'm a vet, though with limited chicken experience) several times over the next few months, sometimes getting as much as 400-500ml at a time. I am happy to update that this hen is still alive a year later. She still has her good days and bad days, but she's still in the front row when it comes to mealworm frenzy time! I have had 2 other hens with the problem in the past 2 years that were not so fortunate and succumbed after having their abdomen drained 2-3 times. Regardless, I do believe it makes them feel better for whatever time they have left, so I will continue to do it when needed. I have not done necropsies on any of my hens to get definitive answers. It's hard because they all have names and are my pets on the farm.

I agree that draining can prolong life if ascites has developed..... not all of these ailments result in water belly(ascites). Whilst drawing off excess fluid can provide almost instant relief from the symptoms, problem can sometimes occur by introducing infection either from external sources or puncturing the gut in the process or inducing shock by sudden pressure drop. The underlying problem of course is still there which is why the fluid builds up again.
My hens are also pets, with names, but my curiosity and need to improve my knowledge and perhaps in the process prevent other deaths, trumps my emotional distaste at opening them up.... everyone is different.

I agree that draining can prolong life if ascites has developed..... not all of these ailments result in water belly(ascites). Whilst drawing off excess fluid can provide almost instant relief from the symptoms, problem can sometimes occur by introducing infection either from external sources or puncturing the gut in the process or inducing shock by sudden pressure drop. The underlying problem of course is still there which is why the fluid builds up again.
My hens are also pets, with names, but my curiosity and need to improve my knowledge and perhaps in the process prevent other deaths, trumps my emotional distaste at opening them up.... everyone is different.
I expect eventually I will be able to do that. Just some hens are more special than others, as I'm sure you have experienced. These were all part of my original flock. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this forum. I have learned a lot from reading posts from those more experienced.

My black sex link hen has the same thing. I'm taking her to the vet tonight I'll post what the findings are.

I took my hen Gertrude to the vet last night with the symptoms reported by many here, swollen abdomen, dirty bum, not laying.
I showed the vet a picture of her droppings which looked like rubbery white with fleshy looking peach pit sized globs. She had a very fast heart rate and was breathing heavy. An ultrasound confirmed that her abdomen was fluid filled. Her findings were that she was suffering from Egg Yolk Peritonitis EYP. She ruled out heart problems with the ultrasound. Her heart was beating fast because she was probably in pain. She was breathing heavy because of the pressure her fluid filled abdomen was putting on her lungs. The vets options were that we could drain the fluid, give her pain meds and antibiotics and see if she is doing better in the morning. There was a possibility that we would have to clean out her abdomen under sedation. If all that went well than we could give her a hormone implant that would stop her from laying. The implant would have to be re inserted every 6-12 months depending on her metabolism. The other option was euthanasia, since she was very sick at this point and in pain. Heart breakingly, we decided to euthanize. We got Gertrude as an older hen and we weren't sure how old she was. She was already pretty sick and it wasn't for sure that the initial draining and pain meds would work. I didn't want to see her suffering any more and the possibility that I would be prolonging her pain helped make my decision. The vet agreed with my decision. The vet gave her some anesthetic and morphine to calm her down. We snuggled until the meds started to take effect. Then the vet gave her a large dose of anesthetic into her muscle. She was very calm and she peacefully passed away with the vet and myself petting and talking to her. She was a very good girl and I miss her very much. Moving forward, since I only take in retired laying hens, I am going to give them the hormone birth control every Winter to stop their laying and give them a break. Making sure they have as much oyster shell as they want and a good quality layer mash will help the remaining girls from developing EYP. It is not guaranteed to work since the vet said that this is one of the top causes of layer death, it still gives the girls a chance to live a long and happy life. I hope this helps anyone going through these symptoms with their girls. Get them to the vet as soon as possible. Even if you don't have a poultry vet in your area phone around to your local vets. Some of them have special interests in exotic pets and will help you as much as they can.

@Jen2848

I'm so sorry to hear that Gertrude had this illness and that you had to humanely end her suffering. It was the right and caring things to do. :hugsThank you for updating this post with the vet's findings.
In my experience, hens with this internal laying problem improve naturally over the winter when their body stops ovulating, so I would be inclined to use the hormone treatment as a preventative over the spring/summer when laying is at it's peak, if you are looking to extend these girl's lives. That said I don't have much experience with sex links that may lay through their moult, although after their second year, I would be surprised if they continued that trend to any great extent.
I wish you better luck with your remaining girls.

@Jen2848

I'm so sorry to hear that Gertrude had this illness and that you had to humanely end her suffering. It was the right and caring things to do. :hugsThank you for updating this post with the vet's findings.
In my experience, hens with this internal laying problem improve naturally over the winter when their body stops ovulating, so I would be inclined to use the hormone treatment as a preventative over the spring/summer when laying is at it's peak, if you are looking to extend these girl's lives. That said I don't have much experience with sex links that may lay through their moult, although after their second year, I would be surprised if they continued that trend to any great extent.
I wish you better luck with your remaining girls.

Thank you! My girls are all still laying, and 5 out of 6 of my red sex links are still moulting! I wish they would slow down. I live in Eastern Ontario Canada and our Winters are cold so I have a heat lamp in for them since they are still missing feathers from their moult. It's a red heat lamp so I'm not sure if that is tricking them into thinking the days are still long. If I could just get them to stop laying and grow their feathers back I feel they could get some relief this Winter.

I am having a similar issue! My 1.5 yr old hen has a bald butt, standing nearly vertical, right wing is drooping(has been that way since she was born) yesterday the bulge between her legs was hard so we gave her a warm epsom salt bath. It has now softened and she is slow to eat but does occasionally nibble at whatever is in front of her. She is waddling funny. Her Come was dark red but now it is back to bright red. Pants hard every so often. She is now pooping but it is covered in a bubbly white goo. Not really social right now. Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

@Avacodo

I'm sorry, but unfortunately your girl is nearing the end. That swollen abdomen is either full of fluid (ascites) or full of egg material, possibly infected egg material, either salpingitis where the oviduct is impacted with lash egg, or Egg Yolk Peritonitis where the egg yolks have dropped into the abdominal cavity. Either way, it is putting a strain on her other organs including her lungs and she will eventually become unable to poop as her gut becomes constricted her she will suffer heart failure. If it is ascites, then draining her may give her some relief short term for a week or two but generally it will return and the underlying cause of the ascites will still remain and become fatal sooner or later. Draining also comes with a risk of introducing an infection which might hasten death and they can also die of shock due to the sudden reduction of pressure from draining them. There are You Tube videos which show you how to drain a hen at home or you can get a vet to do it but you need to be aware that it may only buy her a little time and not cure her, but could also cause the end to come sooner.... so not a lot of gain for the chance of a little benefit.
If it is not ascites, but salpingitis, then she will be in a lot of discomfort and it would be kinder to end it for her now..... when you have seen a necropsy of a bird with salpingitis, it makes it easier to make that decision to end it for them because you can empathise with how uncomfortable they must have been.... I can send you a link to a necropsy video done by another member of this forum, if you are not squeamish, which I think will help you understand the gravity of the situation.

It has been a year that i noticed this with my girl and it about drove me crazy. I finally decided if there was nothing i could do to help her i would just not look at her butt. And that is just what I did. She is still pecking along. Feathers are covering that area and I still avoid looking at that part of her anatomy

Back
Top Bottom