Hello!

Before I dive into this, I just wanted to say that I know that I have already posted about this problem, but I didn't receive any effective help....Therefore, I am hoping that more people will see this, and offer any advice! Thanks so much in advance!!

In September 2020 one of my hens molted moderately, then in December 2020 another hen had a hard molt, which started out with losing front neck feathers only for a while. Not all of my hens molted, since some of them were under a year old.

In December, my third hen began to lose a lot of feathers from the front area of her neck. I initially attributed this to molting, but then discovered some lice on her and another hen. I treated her with DE and eventually cured them of the lice.

This hen has no feathers on her front neck, except for broken feather shafts. Underneath her, she has also lost feathers, leaving on the shafts and/or no feathers (not even bumps), also in the area where her tail meets her torso.

Following this, one of my other hens, who did not molt last year, began to lose feathers the same way (feather shafts left or only skin) on the side of her neck, and hear her legs. Also, my hen who molted early, has lost a few feathers underneath her crop.

One of my afflicted hens, now has a bit of mini feather fuzz growing on her neck.....However, when any large feathers begin to grow, the disappear (most likely pecked off) within a few days.

I have examined them, and could not see any lice or other parasites...They have also been laying everyday.....I have been treating them with Manna Pro Lice Spray, spraying a minimum of 5 times a week. I have also completely cleaned out their henhouse, and spray the Manna Pro Lice Spray in their henhouse too.

My flock free ranges, has access to grit, oyster shell, water, and feed all day. I recently treated them for worms too, since I discovered one worm in their feces a few weeks ago.

Is this some disease? I am inclined to not think so, since my hens are acting totally fine, just missing feathers.

Their feathers won’t fully grow back until the next molt. Are you offering them adequate protein? I would put them on Feather Fixer and also offer scrambled egg for extra protein. If you believe the face feathers are being pecked out, this could be indicative of over-crowding and / or protein deficiency. Feathers are made out of mostly protein, and sometimes chickens will eat them to supplement.

Here’s some pics of my afflicted hens @Lemon-Drop

also, I give them mealworms or soldier fly larvae 6 times a week a few times a day

my hens free range on an acre of grass, with trees, and dust bathing areas.

I have not seen anyone get bullied, except for the occasional peck at the pullets….

@Aapomp831, a chicken can have featherless areas until the next fall?!

thank you so much for taking the time to help me!!

Attachments

• 59826535-AB67-4944-B01B-D28D38603B11.jpeg
    59826535-AB67-4944-B01B-D28D38603B11.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 236E150B-03C3-4CEB-B845-A4539D17E80A.jpeg
    236E150B-03C3-4CEB-B845-A4539D17E80A.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 6522F198-8B67-4907-8CA5-7767FCDCCC3F.jpeg
    6522F198-8B67-4907-8CA5-7767FCDCCC3F.jpeg
    716.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 137E7D52-D84D-4DA2-8608-5751471BC1D4.jpeg
    137E7D52-D84D-4DA2-8608-5751471BC1D4.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 41
That actually looks completely normal to me. And yes, feathers dont naturally just grow back like human hair; it’s usually when the molt happens you’ll see their beautiful feathers come back all nice and shiny. I have a chicken who has bald spots all down her back from a rooster (he has been sold) but she still has those bald spots (which btw, are waaaaay worse than your girls). I would keep doing what you’re doing - extra protein (still in moderation) and just keep observing. But those pictures don’t look concerning at all. Nature will take care of it in the fall 😀 she actually looks quite healthy.

That actually looks completely normal to me. And yes, feathers dont naturally just grow back like human hair; it’s usually when the molt happens you’ll see their beautiful feathers come back all nice and shiny. I have a chicken who has bald spots all down her back from a rooster (he has been sold) but she still has those bald spots (which btw, are waaaaay worse than your girls). I would keep doing what you’re doing - extra protein (still in moderation) and just keep observing. But those pictures don’t look concerning at all. Nature will take care of it in the fall 😀
Okay great! Thanks so much 😆
Just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t worms or some fatal disease that I’ve read about 😅

I had no idea about it taking so long for feathers to grow back. I guess we learn something new everyday!

Thanks for your time, and have a great day

Back
Top Bottom