Bantam Ameraucana Thread!

I'm just starting to get into them. Have 6 pullets and one rooster(unrelated) Only one of the pullets displays the muff and beard, the other 5 pullets i'm not sure if they are BA with no tufting, or if they are easter eggers. I got them off a friend, and the parents all hated under the same hen, but not all the eggs may have been hers, my friend is wondering if one of her other bantams squirreled some eggs in the same nest. Either way, they are very cute. They are coming up 5 months, and moulting at the mo, but i'm hoping they will start laying once they are finished :)

Have a local show coming up, and i'm going to enter with my tufted girl and rooster, and see how we go. I have never done this before, and am looking forward to the experience, and all the knowledgeable people i can learn from :)

I'm just starting to get into them. Have 6 pullets and one rooster(unrelated) Only one of the pullets displays the muff and beard, the other 5 pullets i'm not sure if they are BA with no tufting, or if they are easter eggers. I got them off a friend, and the parents all hated under the same hen, but not all the eggs may have been hers, my friend is wondering if one of her other bantams squirreled some eggs in the same nest. Either way, they are very cute. They are coming up 5 months, and moulting at the mo, but i'm hoping they will start laying once they are finished :)

Have a local show coming up, and i'm going to enter with my tufted girl and rooster, and see how we go. I have never done this before, and am looking forward to the experience, and all the knowledgeable people i can learn from :)

Do you have pictures of the one you want to show?

Here is my rooster:

And here is the wee pullet:

It hard to get a good shot of her as she is so busy, she never stays still for long enough to get a good full body shot. I usually end up with her tail as she dashes off lol

What kind of show were you going to? Both of the birds appear to be easter eggers and really don't look like bantams in size to me.

Bantam ameraucanas should max out at 30 oz for a cock bird and 26 oz for a hen.

Hmmm. Let me save you some disappointment at the show. Very nice birds but not any approved color. Some will say they are Easter eggers.
Go to the show to learn. We can also help you learn and get you started with some birds you can show. Check out the Ameraucana Breeders Club website. I know this is hard to hear but you are not the first to get a false start.

It's a local show, have been in contact with the people running it, they have seen photos and think those two are good. The pullet definitely is a bantam, she may not look it in the photos, but is way too small to be full size. I'm not 100% sure if rooster is bantam, or a small full size, as he's a bit bigger than the pullets, but not hugely so.
The other 5 pullets i'm guessing are easter eggers, or crosses as they are a lil smaller than the tufted pullet, and have no tufting.

And i have previously found that website, and it has some good info.

I am more taking the birds to the show so i can compare them to others, and see the difference, and what i should be aiming for, i'm not expecting to win big prizes.

And i really appreciate the offer of helping me get started, but i don't know how many people here are from new zealand? I'm guessing many of you are from the states?

I just saw this thread. Yesterday I got 2 lovely lavender bantam hens from Aaron Hickson on the Ameraucana Breeders Club website. I also got 2 chicks he'd had hatch out (all he had at the moment).

By yesterday afternoon I had one blue egg, & this afternoon I had TWO. One hen already tried to commit suicide-by-dog by flying over the common fence into my dog pen. Luckily we were home & she was saved! Last night BOTH hens got a wing clipped!

It's a local show, have been in contact with the people running it, they have seen photos and think those two are good. The pullet definitely is a bantam, she may not look it in the photos, but is way too small to be full size. I'm not 100% sure if rooster is bantam, or a small full size, as he's a bit bigger than the pullets, but not hugely so.
The other 5 pullets i'm guessing are easter eggers, or crosses as they are a lil smaller than the tufted pullet, and have no tufting.

And i have previously found that website, and it has some good info.

I am more taking the birds to the show so i can compare them to others, and see the difference, and what i should be aiming for, i'm not expecting to win big prizes.

And i really appreciate the offer of helping me get started, but i don't know how many people here are from new zealand? I'm guessing many of you are from the states?

I missed that you are in the land down under. That changes things a little. In the USA those birds would not be showable. A knowledgeable judge would disqualify them. We also need to list color variety when we fill out the entry form even on project colors. I could not call those by any known color.

I forgot say that in my first post in this thread.

They are called 'araucanas' here though they are really the ameraucana, as all the birds for sale i have seen titled araucana have tails and the muffs and beard, seem to have more color variations, they don't appear to be so strict, as the people i have been in contact with called the pullet a splash. There is a prep day next weekend for the show, i am going to that, and they said they will bring along the standard they use, so it will be good to see that as well, and have an idea of what they will be looking for.

In this show, there is no category for the bantam 'araucanas', only full sizes, so i have to enter my pullet in the fancy bantam category. The people running the show want me to bring her along, as they said they haven't had much experience with the bantams mostly just full sizes and want to see what she's like:)
So it could be an interesting day.
I will be aiming in the future i think to get more correct colors, it's hard at this stage, as there's not many correct colours in the bantams around here that i have found.

One question, would a full sized rooster(as long as he was on the smaller side of full) be too big to go over bantams?

Back
Top Bottom