Bantam Ameraucana

This is really helpful! I did some research since I own ameraucanas myself, and my first batch of ameraucanas seem to match up will all the recognized colors. Although, my second batch (from tsc, no way) all had different colors. Is it possible they are not true ameraucanas? I wouldn’t be surprised if tsc would mislabel random EE’s. Here are some photos: (sorry they are not the best) View attachment 3432482View attachment 3432483View attachment 3432484
Yep, those all look like easter eggers. TSC is notorious for mislabeling and mis-sexing chicks. They may also sell easter eggers as 'americauana', the 'i' usually indicates they aren't true ameraucanas, on top of that I believe they source their birds from hoover's hatchery, which doesn't breed true ameraucanas.

Not that there's anything wrong with easter eggers; i'm just trying to be informational as to what's what.
Yay! What color(s)?
Wheatens- blue and splash wheatens too. It's a bit impossible to tell what's what right now though, because they all start out the same color.

Yep, those all look like easter eggers. TSC is notorious for mislabeling and mis-sexing chicks. They may also sell easter eggers as 'americauana', the 'i' usually indicates they aren't true ameraucanas, on top of that I believe they source their birds from hoover's hatchery, which doesn't breed true ameraucanas.

Not that there's anything wrong with easter eggers; i'm just trying to be informational as to what's what.

Wheatens- blue and splash wheatens too. It's a bit impossible to tell what's what right now though, because they all start out the same color.
Ah, thank you for confirming my suspicions! I still enjoy their eggs very much, but I like being able to properly label them 👍

@I Like Turkeys How are the chicks doing? Do you have any pics?
I lost a few, so I’m down to 8. These guys are a bit fragile, and things were very hectic in their first week of life.
They’re a bit skittish because I haven’t had proper time to handle them, but they’re adorable.
26120D50-BE99-4B76-BA2B-48EEEBB72B3F.jpeg
36EC6F4F-7425-47AB-A998-D87681BAA127.jpeg
16152B87-9494-4F1D-8224-42B016881222.jpeg

I lost a few, so I’m down to 8. These guys are a bit fragile, and things were very hectic in their first week of life.
They’re a bit skittish because I haven’t had proper time to handle them, but they’re adorable. View attachment 3445764View attachment 3445765View attachment 3445766
Thanks for the update!!! Such pretty babies! They look very good!
I am still waiting for a broody before I go get eggs to hatch. It will probably be next month. My candidate has already successfully raised babies, and I am looking forward to having her raise these bantams.
I was only going to get 6 eggs. Since they won’t be going thru the mail, maybe there’s a better chance of all hatching. But maybe I should ask for more. I’d like to have 3 females and keep one cockerel. If there were 4 pullets, I’d keep all four. (Here I am counting my chickens before the eggs are even laid 🙃)
Do the self-blue breed true, or do you need 2 other colors in the parents?

Thanks for the update!!! Such pretty babies! They look very good!
I am still waiting for a broody before I go get eggs to hatch. It will probably be next month. My candidate has already successfully raised babies, and I am looking forward to having her raise these bantams.
I was only going to get 6 eggs. Since they won’t be going thru the mail, maybe there’s a better chance of all hatching. But maybe I should ask for more. I’d like to have 3 females and keep one cockerel. If there were 4 pullets, I’d keep all four. (Here I am counting my chickens before the eggs are even laid 🙃)
Do the self-blue breed true, or do you need 2 other colors in the parents?
Self blues(Lavenders) breed true. They’re based on a recessive gene, so all they can produce is more self blues(lavenders). It is common practice to breed them to Black birds though, as the gene that makes them “self blue” is also somewhat linked to poor quality feathers, and breeding to blacks can lessen the effect. Do note that a self blue bred to a black only produces blacks who “hide” the self blue gene. If you were to breed one that “hides” self blue to a true self blue, you’d get 50% carriers And 50% self blues. Two carriers Bred together produces 25% self blues.

I think my hatch rate was so low because of the shipping. Hopefully you’ll have better luck.

@I Like Turkeys any updates on the chicks? Pics?
They’re doing fine. I have an amazing count of… one friendly one 😂. It does a little pose every time I interact with it, and I adore it. This one’s probably a boy, I don’t think a pullet would be so gutsy as to puff at me every time I open the cage door.
9259E865-1B1E-4428-AEB6-BC8530D20795.jpeg

The others are a bit skittish, though I don’t pay quite as much attention to them as my favorite. None really have the same posture as the showoff, as seen in the one below, so I suppose they also just don’t catch my attention as much.
989F307C-FC45-4231-B7D7-4DB1B560A4C6.jpeg
😅

Attachments

• 9B1A1474-ADFE-4FFB-AE24-163273A54B16.jpeg
    9B1A1474-ADFE-4FFB-AE24-163273A54B16.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 2
They’re doing fine. I have an amazing count of… one friendly one 😂. It does a little pose every time I interact with it, and I adore it. This one’s probably a boy, I don’t think a pullet would be so gutsy as to puff at me every time I open the cage door.
View attachment 3458628
The others are a bit skittish, though I don’t pay quite as much attention to them as my favorite. None really have the same posture as the showoff, as seen in the one below, so I suppose they also just don’t catch my attention as much. View attachment 3458662😅
Wouldn’t it be nice if only one were a male!
Someone pointed out that when shopping for chicks in a farm store straight run bin, that the pullets are more likely to be ignoring you, looking down, acting ‘bland.’ That the friendly ones who look at you and approach your hand are probably the cockerels. So I am betting your outgoing one is a cockerel, based on that theory.
They look good!!!!

Back
Top Bottom