BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's mostly my bantams making troubles in the spring, my large breed roosters seem to sort stuff out without the drama. I finally have no one in jail since last fall. Hopefully everyone behaves.

D'uccle can sometimes have the Napoleon complex, so maybe that bit of d'uccle has gotten him feisty. Though I did have one black Cochin frizzle rooster who was the son of Satan and wouldn't stop attacking me no matter what I did. He unfortunately had to go.

I have one little guy that is the best to his girls, and is the first alert to all my pens. Awesome little flock master. But he has an attitude....as long as I'm on the other side of the fence! When I enter his pen, he moves back. I think he saw my CL ad to rehome him. :D

He got lucky and I didn't have any takers, so I let him stay one more season. Since then, he has been the prime gentleman. Except thru the fence. Lol!

I think a huge difference is Fancy Pants I got when he was about the age I was putting my one girl out. I wanted a friend for her since the others didn't make it. So I didn't have him from "day one" like others which I have. Some, handled more than others, which shows that more handling before they go out the easier later. Least to me it does.

Do you guys notice free rangers being lighter overall? I'm thinking of adding some gamebird-conditioner to their daily or Chavez mix. I feed flock raiser. It's primarily Purina-Cargill here everywhere I look. I don't want the boys on layer. So oyster is separate & tossed in the yard too. I do ferment. Their condition for feathers, sheen, etc is great.

I think a huge difference is Fancy Pants I got when he was about the age I was putting my one girl out. I wanted a friend for her since the others didn't make it. So I didn't have him from "day one" like others which I have. Some, handled more than others, which shows that more handling before they go out the easier later. Least to me it does.

My bantam Cochin Marshmallow had never been handled (except maybe at the county fair) and when I got her she warmed up to me right away and would come running as fast as her short fluffy legs would carry her when I called her name. Sometimes she would trip :p she was about a year old when I got her, I don't know her hatchday.

Others that I have raised from chicks aren't as friendly but Cochins are just a friendly breed.

Im assuming their odler.When we got them at the end of november i am thinking they were about 2 months so their about 4 mo now.The others are im sure pullets no saddle feathers what so eever and the cockerel has been humping them never have seen cockerels hump eachother nit even young sincless ones.

My bantam Cochin Marshmallow had never been handled (except maybe at the county fair) and when I got her she warmed up to me right away and would come running as fast as her short fluffy legs would carry her when I called her name. Sometimes she would trip :p she was about a year old when I got her, I don't know her hatchday.

Others that I have raised from chicks aren't as friendly but Cochins are just a friendly breed.

My self blues do not want me to pet them. The silver penciled are so so. I honestly don't think I handled this last bunch enough. Once I get ahold of them they'll kinda let me. To reach out then they're hanging out, nope. Lil blue I think it is-don't try to take her egg or check. I now use a spoon if I absolutely need to collect-check. So far, no broody which is good. I'm wanting to wait til everyone is a year.

Oh my gosh. I've got to get new pics of my birchen boy. My black is looking good too. I'm sure there's way better, but I'm happy with how.

I'm so excited to be getting 4 d'uccles and 4 mottled Cochin's , I do have a question though. Are the d'uccles Cochin's ? And please offer some tips .

I'm so excited to be getting 4 d'uccles and 4 mottled Cochin's , I do have a question though. Are the d'uccles Cochin's ? And please offer some tips .

Nope. Separate breed. All feather footed. Cochins won't have vulture hocks.

Be prepared to wash feet. Especially if they get into mud, etc. Everything sticks to them it seems.

Like any other chicks: handle as much as you can & have fun! You'll love their fluffy butts doing a waddle-run to you.

Back
Top Bottom