BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sweet Maisie had her first free range day with the big girls , well 3 of the 4 of them are big.
1f602.png
She was such a happy little chicken at least until she almost ran into my standerd Cochin then she went over to a patch of grass and stayed there munching away from the others!

Awww, she's pretty! What color is she?
I would guess blue but looks like she has white around her neck.

Bread soaked in olive oil may help break up the crop issues. I fed that to one of my hens, keeping her separately in the basement, right now. Felt her crop at 8pm, very hard which is normal, but she had not eaten all day, and again at 3:30am, a bit softer. I put several not-crust tiny pieces of bread in olive oil last night so it would be full soaked this morning. I took out feed and just put in the olive oil soaked bread and will see what happens when I get home today.

Hopefully your birds recover soon!

Bread soaked in olive oil may help break up the crop issues. I fed that to one of my hens, keeping her separately in the basement, right now. Felt her crop at 8pm, very hard which is normal, but she had not eaten all day, and again at 3:30am, a bit softer. I put several not-crust tiny pieces of bread in olive oil last night so it would be full soaked this morning. I took out feed and just put in the olive oil soaked bread and will see what happens when I get home today.

Hopefully your birds recover soon!

I appreciate the suggestion. We've done all we can. The issue seems to not truly be an impaction, but the food that goes in just sits. It's now like a doughy paste and will not move. We massage and push as much through as we can, but the crop refuses to function. Every time this has happened in the past, it is right before the bird passes. The crop is only a symptom of what is happening in the body so when the body begins its downhill slide, the crop may be one of the first things you see go wrong, certainly the most visible. He is drinking a lot, but he is sleeping a lot now so I think we'll lose my sweet Xander. I looked up his age and he will be 4 yrs about March 1, so he's older than I remembered.
Best wishes for your ailing girl.

I appreciate the suggestion. We've done all we can. The issue seems to not truly be an impaction, but the food that goes in just sits. It's now like a doughy paste and will not move. We massage and push as much through as we can, but the crop refuses to function. Every time this has happened in the past, it is right before the bird passes. The crop is only a symptom of what is happening in the body so when the body begins its downhill slide, the crop may be one of the first things you see go wrong, certainly the most visible. He is drinking a lot, but he is sleeping a lot now so I think we'll lose my sweet Xander. I looked up his age and he will be 4 yrs about March 1, so he's older than I remembered.
Best wishes for your ailing girl.

I'm sure you've read alot on crop issues, but have you heard anything about copper sulfate used for it? I read it somewhere, but can't remember. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Best of luck to you and him.

I'm sure you've read alot on crop issues, but have you heard anything about copper sulfate used for it? I read it somewhere, but can't remember. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Best of luck to you and him.

Yes, we have acidified copper sulfate, but that is more for sour crop. I've keep that for years now for sour crop issues and do use it. Tomato juice also is said to help with crop issues, not sure why, tried that with yogurt as well. But, the doughy mass is just sitting. The crop just plain is not functioning, as far as we can tell. If it was sour crop or plain impacted crop, I think it would be resolving by now.

Yes, we have acidified copper sulfate, but that is more for sour crop. I've keep that for years now for sour crop issues and do use it. Tomato juice also is said to help with crop issues, not sure why, tried that with yogurt as well. But, the doughy mass is just sitting. The crop just plain is not functioning, as far as we can tell. If it was sour crop or plain impacted crop, I think it would be resolving by now.

hugs.gif

Thanks, I do appreciate the suggestion. And folks should be aware of it. Acidified copper sulfate is easy to administer, it's blue crystals and you use something like 1/8 teaspoon in a one gallon waterer for a few days for sour crop. It did help my Buff Brahma hen, Caroline, when hers was sluggish and souring-she had pendulous crop so was always at risk for sour crop, especially as she approached 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom