Bantam Duck Page

Hey everyone! Are your black east indies loud? I'm looking to get a female for a pet and I'm looking to know if they are unbearably loud. Keep in mind this would be my only duck. I'm disabled and I want an imprinted duck for a house pet. I want a female because they are smaller and I've had some bad experiences with aggressive drakes. Thank you so much everyone.
Female calls can be VERY loud. I would suggest a drake if you need a quieter duck.
And drakes are generally (though it depends on the breeding) not at all aggressive.

If you get an adult, I would suggest getting more than one as they are social animals and don't do well if they don't have a buddy. Especially if they are used to being with other ducks.
Your best bet for a house duck would be to get a single duckling as early as you can. That way it has more chance of imprinting to you and not other ducks.

I have found the more unusual colored drakes to be less aggressive than the whites. Self-black, Silver Appleyard and Chocolate Calls come to mind. I can generally mix any of mine together in a bachelor pen without hens except whites...I have one white drake who absolutely cannot be housed with any other white drake, with or without hens.

just ordered 5(1 drake, 4 hens) black east indies and they should hatch and be shipped on the 19th and should arrive on the 20th. so excited for tiny cute bantam duckies!

question to those that have bantie ducks...can they eat pellets? i feed my LF cochin girls an all flock type pellet and it is a pretty small pellet and was wondering if my little BEI's would be able to eat them once they grow up some?

ANYONE?? 

Geez, I've gone and killed another thread...  /img/smilies/hide.gif

I don't see where you are from (browsing on a mobile device) but they should be okay with adequate shelter and supplemental heat is not necessary. However it may end up costing you more in feed so the ducks can keep their temperatures regulated in severely cold weather by a higher metabolic rate and thus more feed consumption. Some one worked it out for themselves and it would up being cheaper to give the birds a heat lamp than to shell out for the extra feed. I would imagine the larger your flock, the more this is true.

Last edited:
just ordered 5(1 drake, 4 hens) black east indies and they should hatch and be shipped on the 19th and should arrive on the 20th. so excited for tiny cute bantam duckies!

question to those that have bantie ducks...can they eat pellets? i feed my LF cochin girls an all flock type pellet and it is a pretty small pellet and was wondering if my little BEI's would be able to eat them once they grow up some?
Where are you getting them from?
I had someone ask me and Holderreads was the only place I knew of but they only ship adults.
Thanks!

All I feed my ducks is mostly pellets, with greens, cat kibble or minnows occasionally. But ducks do best with an animal protein based food source and plenty of B vitamins; the youngsters especially need the B vitamins, so you may have to take that under consideration. I use Heinold duck starter, developer and breeder formulas. Used Purina duck feeds previously but I like the Heinold feeds much better.

Help! I have a medical/health question about my male call duck. Would this be an ok place to post? I have a somewhat yucky picture that shows what's going on
1f614.png
just need some opinions in what to do...

Back
Top Bottom