Bare Backed Hens

Chicks Away

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
I have three hens that were pretty roughed up by my rooster while I was away. the feathers don't seem to be growing back. Any ideas what I should do before it gets cold?
hen.jpg
hen 2.jpg

I have sewn my own saddles. I also use a woven outdoor type fabric. I've always used the double, cross strap style. You can also get them with shoulder protection. Either permanent or attachable. Be aware they will get wet. Chickens are used to being feathered not fabric covered. So I have extras around to change wet saddles for dry.
As far as the feathers missing I've noticed they are mostly broken off. Those feathers won't come back until they molt.

I have sewn my own saddles. I also use a woven outdoor type fabric. I've always used the double, cross strap style. You can also get them with shoulder protection. Either permanent or attachable. Be aware they will get wet. Chickens are used to being feathered not fabric covered. So I have extras around to change wet saddles for dry.
As far as the feathers missing I've noticed they are mostly broken off. Those feathers won't come back until they molt.
But you think they will come back?

But you think they will come back?

The feathers will eventually grow back. Probably not until they molt again. Depending on the age of your birds and where you live, maybe this fall. But it depends on the bird. I had one barely molt last year and she is still a bit bare, so I'm hoping this year she feathers out fully again. Because I'm in Florida with lots of sun I do use saddles on the bare ones to protect from the sun. Also, once you see signs of a molt or of feather growth, upping the protein in their feed can help. It takes a lot of protein to grow feathers. I add feather fixer to my feed, or grower feed if I can't find feather fixer, when I see signs of molt. Make sure to have oyster shell available all the time, free choice, as the non-layer feeds will not have enough calcium.

Thanks for the info Coach, you're a big help. Saddles are on their way, just ordered them online. I'm up in NY by the big pond. Girls did't start to molt until early Dec. last year.

The feathers will eventually grow back. Probably not until they molt again. Depending on the age of your birds and where you live, maybe this fall. But it depends on the bird. I had one barely molt last year and she is still a bit bare, so I'm hoping this year she feathers out fully again. Because I'm in Florida with lots of sun I do use saddles on the bare ones to protect from the sun. Also, once you see signs of a molt or of feather growth, upping the protein in their feed can help. It takes a lot of protein to grow feathers. I add feather fixer to my feed, or grower feed if I can't find feather fixer, when I see signs of molt. Make sure to have oyster shell available all the time, free choice, as the non-layer feeds will not have enough calcium.
Agreed! I'm really hoping my girls go through a good molt this year. If they don't get some feathers back I may be making chicken sweaters!

Back
Top Bottom