Bare Backs and Bums . . .

Here are some of the bare bums and backs. Most are the from the White Rocks and just a few spots from the Golden Comets. They've all been dirt-dusting, so they look pretty dusty! If you have any ideas if it might be the rooster - he is constantly, I mean constantly at it. Have a bunch more pictures if these don't tell anything. Some of them just have a small spot, some don't have any bare spots. But most of them have something missing somewhere.
This one is the worst. She also has a big scab there on the right above her wing.

Thanks for looking and trying to help my chickens!
D.gif
ok right your bottom picture is fairly common in layer hens but the other 3 is were the cockerel is just picking on that one hen and she is trying to get away but he is constantly at her all the time

and it is looking quite serious if you don't want this to keep on happening I would properly think about getting a younger rooster who a little bit smaller
so yeah he's just constantly, constantly at it and then the hen try's to pull away but offiously he is holding on with a tight grip with his beack and claws so she is going to get plucked

Quote: These hens came to us looking like this, but the rooster wasn't always w/ them before we had them. He was there for a little while before, so I don't think it's entirely his fault - though I do think he is contributing to the problem.

Thanks for your input. I'll be keeping a watch on them and dust for mites as well. Good luck w/ your own flock.

These hens came to us looking like this, but the rooster wasn't always w/ them before we had them. He was there for a little while before, so I don't think it's entirely his fault - though I do think he is contributing to the problem.

Thanks for your input. I'll be keeping a watch on them and dust for mites as well. Good luck w/ your own flock.
oh sorry I did not know that they came to you like that well there is another thing they might have some sort of skin condition or mite which is causing them to itch and pluck there feathers maybe you could consider taking one of the worst chickens to the vet to have a look at it and see what they say but as they are your chickens its your choice but please could you keep me updated and I will keep looking for what this could be ok hope this helps
D.gif

Thanks, chickencrazy! I'll be dusting for the mites and see what happens, then maybe make some of those chicken saddles to protect from Mr. Roo. (If I can get them on the chickens!)

Back
Top Bottom