Bare Backs and Bums . . .

LittleBits

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I was looking through the thread about chicken saddles and wondered if this could be why a lot of my hens have bare backs?

If I post a few pictures, would someone be able to tell me if it is from the roosters or from something else, like other hen picking or mites or molting or - whatever else there is - ?

And what about the bare bums?

If someone thinks they can tell the difference - I'll post the pics.

Thanks so much. My chickens look naked.
sad.png

I was looking through the thread about chicken saddles and wondered if this could be why a lot of my hens have bare backs?

If I post a few pictures, would someone be able to tell me if it is from the roosters or from something else, like other hen picking or mites or molting or - whatever else there is - ?

And what about the bare bums?

If someone thinks they can tell the difference - I'll post the pics.

Thanks so much. My chickens look naked.
sad.png
Yes sure could you post the pictures and I will have a look

She might just be itchy. Have you wormed recently? Have they had enough mite powder? It's probably less effective when the weather is wet? Anything infesting the nestbox?
I haven't wormed but have thoroughly checked their poops and I don't see anything there. Are chicken worms microscopic that I might be missing it? Don't see mites or lice on the one or two that I can catch... We bought them all as adults and most of them already had this problem when we got them. Some of them are nice and fluffly, though, especially the Golden Comets (4). Their backs and bums seem to be fine.
Have you observed them fighting? Usually they will pick at each other if they are overcrowded,
Overcrowding may be an issue - have a 50' wire chicken fence penning them in - kind of in a circle formation. Coop has about 30 sqft of floor space, (2) 6' roosts, (4) nesting boxes. They're not in there much - just when I am, being nosy!
Quote: I will look at this, too. Thanks so much for looking and helping out.

I am somewhat worried about the mites - how do I go about dusting when I can't catch them - even at night, some of them get way to excited when I enter the coop and jump down from the roost and carry on like there's a fox inside...I don't even have red hair! Again, thanks - I will post the pics within the next 2 hrs.

I haven't wormed but have thoroughly checked their poops and I don't see anything there. Are chicken worms microscopic that I might be missing it? Don't see mites or lice on the one or two that I can catch... We bought them all as adults and most of them already had this problem when we got them. Some of them are nice and fluffly, though, especially the Golden Comets (4). Their backs and bums seem to be fine.
Overcrowding may be an issue - have a 50' wire chicken fence penning them in - kind of in a circle formation. Coop has about 30 sqft of floor space, (2) 6' roosts, (4) nesting boxes. They're not in there much - just when I am, being nosy!
I will look at this, too. Thanks so much for looking and helping out.

I am somewhat worried about the mites - how do I go about dusting when I can't catch them - even at night, some of them get way to excited when I enter the coop and jump down from the roost and carry on like there's a fox inside...I don't even have red hair! Again, thanks - I will post the pics within the next 2 hrs.
what I did was buy some red mite powder and rub it on them and in there nesting boxes and coop have you posted the pictures yet ??

Here are some of the bare bums and backs. Most are the from the White Rocks and just a few spots from the Golden Comets. They've all been dirt-dusting, so they look pretty dusty! If you have any ideas if it might be the rooster - he is constantly, I mean constantly at it. Have a bunch more pictures if these don't tell anything. Some of them just have a small spot, some don't have any bare spots. But most of them have something missing somewhere.
This one is the worst. She also has a big scab there on the right above her wing.

Thanks for looking and trying to help my chickens!
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom