Barn cat? Thoughts, suggestion and ideas

Thank you very much for your reply! I al sorry to hear about your dogs. Tho, it is wonderful to hear that the long term affects aren’t so bad!
Dogs can die from lymes and the other tick diseases. The key is to know your dog, and don't put off having them tested or treated. My vet tells me all the time that he sees dogs that are brought in way too late and they are in kidney failure from it. Anaplasmosis will destroy red blood cells and dogs can die from that.

Things to watch for is lethargy, low grade fever, not eating as well, off behaviors, and the big one is shifting leg lameness, especially in the front legs. Lymes is painful so dogs may become more aggressive or agitated, and cry out more from simple things.

I often take my dogs in before it even shows on the test. Most we just run 2 weeks on the antibiotics and see if they respond. If they do it's another 2 weeks and go from there. Helps to have a good vet who's knowledgeable with the diseases.

Dogs can die from lymes and the other tick diseases. The key is to know your dog, and don't put off having them tested or treated. My vet tells me all the time that he sees dogs that are brought in way too late and they are in kidney failure from it. Anaplasmosis will destroy red blood cells and dogs can die from that.

Things to watch for is lethargy, low grade fever, not eating as well, off behaviors, and the big one is shifting leg lameness, especially in the front legs. Lymes is painful so dogs may become more aggressive or agitated, and cry out more from simple things.

I often take my dogs in before it even shows on the test. Most we just run 2 weeks on the antibiotics and see if they respond. If they do it's another 2 weeks and go from there. Helps to have a good vet who's knowledgeable with the diseases.
Oh yes, I fully understand this- thank you. I went through the same thing with my dog, but thankfully we caught it early and were able to get her in antibiotics quick!

When I said I was glad the long term affects weren’t so bad in your case, I was talking about if they get caught early and treated. I was led to believe that even on antibiotics and if they were to be treated quickly, the dog would still suffer their whole lives. Which was a very unsettling thought!

Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom