Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
Happy Cooks,
Wow, those are so much darker than mine. Here is "Charlie" at 4 weeks

82626_charlie.jpg

From a guy in Waco, off of ebay. This was the set of 12 I ordered before I even knew about this thread or group, so I had no idea to ask about lines. Why does it look like a different breed? Here is the baby pic of Charlie

Quote:
It looks exactly like my barnie chicks. I don't know why it looks so different now, I haven't had them long enough. Did the person you got your chicks from say what lines they were? It will be interesting to see how your chick matures though.

Quote:
OH my, yes, your green banded ones are so beautiful
big_smile.png

That's your mottled java in the corner of one of the pics too. I ended up with 2 pullets and a cockeral on the java's. (rehomed the cockeral though) They are shy though and going through the don't kill us time.
big_smile.png

I have some chicks from the person in waco as well, I had the best hatch out any shipped eggs ever with those chicks. I believe10 out of the shipment made it to lockdown and had 9 hatch. I would class them as pullet eggs, but were somewhat the correct shape.Very nice chicksn and growing well. Very typy as far as what I would consider barnies to ne. At this point I have several little roos , which I need, and some very nice loking pullets. The feathers are comming in correctly , nice yellowish legs. Not slate as some are. I think that most suffer with egg color , as these were typical in that area. I did not hatch any roos out last year, so am impatienly awaiting roos to develpoe. I have 5 prety nice hens, 3 of which are relly nice. The eggs that I buy will be judged by these , as that is what 2 of mine lay.
46679_img_0458.jpg
. Most barnevelder have that shine but are much lighter than these. So I will judge all by these. The hens that lay these came from eggs that I bought out of colorado. I belive that she has some on ebay, or had some on ebay. And hers cam from the gal from texas that has recently been selling them on here along with her BCm. The peson fro waco marked my eggs with his pen, 1 ledford pen 1 Johan pen. the johan pen has much nicer birds as a gruop than the ledford pen, but they are both nice chicks. Time will tell. The time stamp is correct as to when i took the picture, and my barnies have been laying since between thanksgiving and christmas. I hatched them in late may last year. They have not slowed down and often get 4 or 5 eggs a day out of the pen of 5. I have a pretty nice blue laced red wyandotte in with them now, and then will top them with my best wellsummer,barnie cross. These will be my project birds until I get to the pure barnie roo. I I love the blues.but the peeps that have been here to buy eggs and chicks all love the barnies and whish I had pure one to sell. I think the breed has ome issue and the narrow gene pool does not help it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Those are some really nice barnie eggs. I'm working with mine, but I bet it'll take a few years to get the egg color where I want it. I would love to see pictures of your birds to:) Oh, and where did you get the chicken print fabric with a Barnevelder hen on it???

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom